Re: [opensuse] Wrong time zone

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 12:27:15PM +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

The other trick is to tell Windows 7 not to jump the the time when summer
hour comes. This is what I have (and local time in the cmos), but I'm not
very happy with it...

When I started Linux this Sunday morning (summer time here was the early
hours of Sunday), Linux was displaying the old time, one hour slow. I had
to play with "rcntp ntptimeset".

Then I booted Windows, and it also displayed the wrong hour, meaning that
the CMOS was not adjusted correctly by Linux (local time). I had to
manually adjust it as well.

On next reboot to Linux, this was showing the correct hour.

So I have to wonder about this trick of telling Windows to use UTC in the cmos.

Linux would get the summer time information correct, as it does on my Linux
only machines. But will Windows do the same, or do I have to adjust it
manually?

With Linux the reference for the kernels system clock is UTC.
Otherwise time zone data files like /etc/localtime and below
/usr/share/zoneinfo will not work. A possible TZ variable is
identical to one of the files (including the sub directory)
below /usr/share/zoneinfo.

Werner

  • Re: Future of IT in Lebanon
    ... working knowledge of Indian programmers DNA, nor of their intuitive Java ... > So Longhorn is not an experiment and Linux is an experiment? ... another chapter in the Windows story, and the Microsoft marketing machine is ... > application opens, Check the about, it says Microsoft Visual Basic 6.3. ...
    (soc.culture.lebanon)
  • FTP DOWNLOAD! More than 6500 CRACKED SOFTWARE(CAD,CAE,CAM,ED
    ... Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2005 ... DASSAULT SYSTEMES CAA ENOVIA LCA V5R13 ... ALTAIR.OPTISTRUCT V5.1 for LINUX ... ANSYS V8.0 FOR WINDOWS ...
  • Linux for Senior Citizens
    ... Linux for Senior Citizens ... For such people, I believe, Windows really is a better option: ... The kernel manages all the hardware and also looks after all running ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: Future of IT in Lebanon
    ... It's the same Linux code base. ... Microsoft Office on a Windows server, it will install and run fine, the main ...
    (soc.culture.lebanon)
  • Re: [SLE] Developing a Real Time Data System
    ... The KBasic License is valid for both operating systems: Windows and Linux. ... Modern BASIC language ... chapters learning about the programming language. ...
    (SuSE)