Re: [opensuse] Re: virtualbox won't open

On 03/26/2012 08:23 AM, Regis Matejcik wrote:
On Mon, 2012-03-26 at 16:23 -0400, Robert Benjamin wrote:
On 03/26/2012 11:10 AM, Robert Benjamin wrote:
On 03/25/2012 04:30 PM, lynn wrote:
El 26/03/12 02:18, Robert Benjamin escribió:
On 03/25/2012 06:57 PM, Robert Benjamin wrote:
On 03/25/2012 02:49 PM, lynn wrote:
El 26/03/12 00:36, Robert Benjamin escribió:
On 03/25/2012 02:31 PM, lynn wrote:
El 26/03/12 00:12, Robert Benjamin escribió:
On 03/25/2012 02:08 PM, lynn wrote:
On 03/25/2012 10:58 PM, Robert Benjamin wrote:
On 03/25/2012 10:07 AM, Robert Benjamin wrote:
Here's what I get as root with /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel
modules done
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules
using DKMS failed
(Failed, trying without DKMS)
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel
modules failed
(Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out
what went wrong
Stopping VirtualBox kernel
modules done
What does all this mean. Hope I didn't mess
things up too seriously. Tks again

Hi
It means it can't compile the kernel modules. You need
to install kernel-devel, make and gcc.
HTH
L x
Hi It is the 25th and I have
trouble with getting anywhere with the start arrow.
Here's what comes up: Error box Failed to open a
session for the virtual machine bbox. The virtual
machine bbox has terminated unexpectedly during
startup with exit code 1. OK
Press OK and it is back to the start arrow again. Ticked the
boxes in Yast as was suggested before for kernel-devel and
others. They were already checked. and dkms is not in
add/remove software. Using /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup gets
the same thing as at the top of this email. So close but
... :-) Bob

Have checked again and kernel-devel and gcc are installed
but I'm still stuck at the same place as above. Any way
to get out of this rut? Bob
What is the output of:
getent group vboxusers
benjie1@linux-0fzk:~> getent group vboxusers
vboxusers:!:1000:
benjie1@linux-0fzk:~>

OK
This means that you are not a member of the vboxusers group. To
run vb, you have to be.

Try this as root:
useradd -G vboxusers bob
(or whatever your username is)
L x

benjie1@linux-0fzk:~> sudo su
root's password:
linux-0fzk:/home/benjie1 # useradd -G vboxusers benjie1
useradd: Account `benjie1' already exists.
linux-0fzk:/home/benjie1 #

Sorry. Still Sunday here. . .
usermod -G vboxusers benjie1
L x

benjie1@linux-0fzk:~> sudo su
root's password:
linux-0fzk:/home/benjie1 # usermod -G vboxusers benjie1
linux-0fzk:/home/benjie1 #

Guess I drew a blank, literally!!! It can wait til tomorrow if
you want. Thanks. Bob

Checked help in VB and followed some hints and got this:

benjie1@linux-0fzk:~> sudo su
root's password:
linux-0fzk:/home/benjie1 # sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers username
usermod: invalid option -- 'a'
Try `usermod --help' or `usermod --usage' for more information.
linux-0fzk:/home/benjie1 # sudo usermod -G vboxusers benjie1
linux-0fzk:/home/benjie1 # getent group vboxusers
vboxusers:!:1000:benjie1
linux-0fzk:/home/benjie1 #

So this has my username now. Is this significant? See you
tomorrow. Bob

You did it correctly the first time:
usermod -G vboxusers benjie1
gave no errors and added you to the vboxusers group.

Reboot. Now you should be able to start the guest machine.
L x

No can't start guest machine. After reboot I get the same error as
at the top of this email. Tried again with /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
but still gives the same as above. Seems it's stuck here for some
reason. Thanks again Bob
Reading the help menu in VB I came across this:
for virtual machines created with VirtualBox 4.0 or later, navigate to
the "VirtualBox VMs" folder in your system user's home directory, find
the subdirectory of the machine you want to start and double-click on
the machine settings file (with a .vbox file extension).

Followed the instructions and got that same message again - kernel
won't start or is not there. In terminal window /etc/init.d/vboxdrv/
setup Gives the same results as above. Can there be a problem with the
Linux kernel or vbox kernel? Also, dkms is not available in Yast Any
ideas how to get this to start. I'm willing to re-install anything if
necessary. I know it will run eventually. Thanks. Bob
Bob, I'm far from a VirtualBox expert, in fact am currently wrestling
with a few nagging issues myself, but...

I believe the documentation states that VirtualBox won't start without
dkms. If you can't find it in YAST, you may not have the repositories
configured. You may want to go to the "Software Repositories" section
and add the community repositories.

good luck,

Regis
Regis, could you be more specific as to where I can find the software repositories section in Yast. Had no luck. Bob

  • Re: [opensuse] Re: virtualbox wont open
    ... It say to run /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup did that ... and now it says it wants dkms and extensions and I msut be a ... Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel ... Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: virtualbox wont open
    ... It say to run /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup did that ... and now it says it wants dkms and extensions and I msut be a ... Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel ... Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: virtualbox wont open
    ... and now it says it wants dkms and extensions and I msut be a ... I went through the same issues when I tried to install the newest ... Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel ... Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: virtualbox wont open
    ... Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules ... :-) Bob ... This means that you are not a member of the vboxusers group. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: virtualbox wont open
    ... and now it says it wants dkms and extensions and I msut be a ... I went through the same issues when I tried to install the newest virtual box on my suse 12.1. ... Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel ... Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using ...
    (SuSE)