Re: [opensuse] what does mean?

On 2012-04-01 09:06, lynn wrote:

Yes we are running AD. Samba4 _is_ AD. The schema includes rfc2703. Our
users have the posixAccount and posixGroup objects which are defined in the
m$ AD schema. (made public via the Samba vs m$ European Court ruling last

Kerberos needs not only to authenticate the user but also the machines on
the lan. When I logon, both I and my computer have to authenticate. If I
request a file then both I and the fileserver have to authenticate. This is
why the dns is crucial with Kerberos.

I see...

I underwent a period of training, mostly with W2K8 R2. These servers had
their corresponding DNS, but not DHCP because you can imagine the havoc 14
DHCP servers can make in the same LAN :-)

But clients did authenticate to the domains.

What I did not make sure is if the DNS could always track the clients. I
think that when someone logged in, the machine was counted in the DNS. This
can not be replicated with bind, AFAIK, and is perhaps the reason that the
samba folks think of another dns daemon.

Nearer to undestanding. Thanks again.
L x

Try to trim your messages, removing the old stuff from previous messages.
Yours are very long and more difficult to read because you don't.
It also needs learning, but please do :-)

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)
Version: GnuPG v2.0.16 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with SUSE -

  • RE: Solaris problem after installing MIT 1.6.3
    ... I agree that they could add this entry to DNS, ... be added in the future to avoid rebuilding Samba and installing MIT ... Although if possible I would rather not use Solaris Kerberos ... I did use the net ads join after recompiling Samba and the --dns-update ...
  • Joining XP to Samba PDC (DNS SRV records issues)
    ... 2.- Create UNIX and Samba accounts and passwords for XP users and machines. ... The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location ... - The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS. ... (the root zone) ...
  • Re: Samba wont dance (more info)
    ... changes invoke another contest round for who gets to be the master, ... Watching a friend's all-XP network, over a number of years, has shown me ...  What method is used (hosts, DNS, lmhosts) in which order, ... # This is the main Samba configuration file. ...
  • Re: [opensuse] what does mean?
    ... Then you don't have ddns working _completely_. ... The first is to use 'dynamic dns' where the DHCP server tells the DNS ... I thought SAMBA was acting as a Domain Controller and that the AD was ... but it seems only for the Windows clients. ...
  • Re: Samba Access Question {RESOLVED}
    ... Thanks to Ed Wilts for pointing me to the right direction. ... Simran Hansrai wrote: ... >> anything on that side since I thought this was a dns lookup when I do ... >>>>I have a redhat 8.0 box that has samba running on it and a solaris 9 box ...