[opensuse] Regression bug in vim-enhanced 12.1 package -- it include a console 'vi' that requires 'X' to be running.

I recently installed the
vim-enhanced (7.3 22.1.3) and
gvim-7.3.22 (which is called 'gvim-normal' upon install though it seems to have the script langs).

The console version of vi hangs on startup if an 'X' server isn't running
(DISPLAY is defined whether the X server is running or not)...

I run 'vi' rarely, but have had lately because my 'X' servers on Windows are broken (cygwin and Xming...).. so vi hangs ...

The reason I use 'vi(m)' is often because I don't have an 'X' server running.

It still **eventuallly**.. (if you interrupt where it is waiting in the network call to the Xserver -- checked via strace), get 'vi' to come up in console mode.

If the 'X' server is running, it comes up promptly in console mode.

But it shouldn't require the X server to be running at all (not for 'vim')...

has this been patched yet?

forgive me if it has been already -- I have been dilatory in updating my
patches directory...

  • Re: 4 patches wont install - 835732, 840987, 828035, 824105
    ... running Win 2003 Standard, joined to domain but not a DC, ... Did find on another post though that if you install kb840315 and kb841533 ... our two servers were upgraded from Windows 2000 Server ... I've been able to install all patches but 4: ...
  • Re: SBS 2003 will not boot up
    ... Then I reboot the server BEFORE installing any patches, ... Then I install patches. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: changing root password with Knoppix?
    ... You WILL backup ONLY the files you MUST keep from this server. ... You WILL install all vendor patches before running any services (preferably ... to the Slackware lists alerting me of new patches with the new server ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Cant download critical patches from Win Update
    ... to do with the ISA server blocking the update. ... Is there any particular ports that Windows Update uses that ISA doesn't let ... > patches I require are ... >>listed but when I press install I get a Windows Update ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Dear Microsoft... Rebooting servers id NOT security..
    ... > Duh - that's why you install patches during your companies scheduled ... The problem is with critical security patches.. ... the concept of rebooting is simply wrong for a server. ...