[opensuse] Re: [opensuse-factory] Recent hardware incompatibilities

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 14:27, C wrote:
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 14:07, Sid Boyce wrote:
Recently I have tried using Asus Sabertooth 990FX and Gigabyte 990FX
motherboards and experienced problems.

They both need IOMMU disabled in the BIOS in order to boot.

Interesting.  I've got a Gigabyte 990 motherboard in my current
computer, and I didn't need to disable IOMMU to get it to boot.  IOMMU
has been around for years... what kernel version were you having
issues with?

Ooops... just checked with dmidecode and I've got a GA-990XA-UD3. So
that's probably just enough different than the 990FX....

That said, I can recommend the board... works fine with the AMD Phenom
II X4 965 Black Edition CPU I put in it.

C.
--
openSUSE 12.1 x86_64, KDE 4.8.2

  • Re: Ghosting system to a different drive number & BOOT.INI
    ... > detected by the BIOS as the first bootable primary partition, ... I'm pretty sure if I reconnect it and ... motherboards will always boot from an IDE device on the primary controller ... Some motherboards you can pick the drive you want ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: win xp repair problems with sata
    ... Not true for all motherboards. ... be loaded at the beginning of MS Install loading. ... > Since the motherboard has SATA ports, then its bios should ... > allow the computer to boot from an SATA hard drive. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Dual Processor systems
    ... motherboards are not guaranteed to boot up initially into BIOS. ... "flippy" wrote: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: 2 wondows versions detected on pc startup?
    ... if not put there by the BIOS? ... BIOS examines the very first sector of the disk for a Master Boot Record ... table which describes the layout of the fixed disk and the partition loader ... This is where Windows and NTLDR comes in, ...
  • Re: maximum hard drive size in Latitude cpi
    ... > actually written a boot loader they won't be so adamant about how "Windows ... > of the disk, and while it is being read off of the disk the machine is ... > limitatoins of that BIOS. ... After that the kernel takes over. ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)