Re: [opensuse] Login password(s) not accepted

On 30/04/12 15:56, phanisvara das wrote:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 11:02:36 +0530, Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

what you describe sounds like a video driver problem to me. since you used a fresh install of 12.1, did you install any prop. video drivers yet? if not, or even if yes, adding "nomodeset" to the kernel line might have helped.

As I mentioned, I had everything working OK which included installing the nVidia 295.40 driver to give me 1920x1080p resolution.

But nothing would work at the start without first typing "nomodeset" at the beginning of the installation process . Cannot check the media, cannot do memtest - nothing, zilch, until one types in "nomodeset".

It is really stupid (to have to type this "nomodeset") to get openSUSE going when both Fedora and Kubuntu simply "get going" without this "nomodeset" nonsense. What's so damn special about openSUSE?! (Stubborn people?)

stubborn people? of course; otherwise there wouldn't be any openSUSE. gotta be a bit stubborn to persevere against odds, microsoft, and grumbling users like us :)

i add "nomodeset" to the kernel boot parameters. it's not supposed to be needed after properly installing video, but it does no harm.

there was a long discussion somewhere, on one of the mailing lists or forums, with many good and some heated arguments to include nomodeset by default. can't recall any of them right now, but seems the "don't include by default" faction won. what i do remember is to put it into the kernel boot parameters.

Which is totally INCONCEIVABLY STUPID!

I suppose that the blurb to type "nomodeset" is mentioned somewhere AFTER you try and boot either the LIVE CD or the DVD - or as mentioned in the 'prerelease notes and known bugs' as in the blurb with respect of Milestone 3 release. But, for chrissake, who reads that crap when you read about a new version of openSUSE being released and you go and download the installation media and then "fire it up"?

Sheer, bloody-minded STUPIDITY on somebody's part!

got to scratch it into your long term memory somehow. IIRC you are, like i am, getting on with your years, so short term isn't that reliable anymore :(

Oy, speak for yourself! :-)

I am only 39 years old - and have been for quite some time! :-D (My uncle was 82 when he decided that he should raise his age to 40 :-) .)

BC

--
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
Sir Winston Churchill

  • Re: [opensuse] Login password(s) not accepted
    ... used a fresh install of 12.1, ... video drivers yet? ... Cannot check the media, cannot do memtest - nothing, zilch, until one types in "nomodeset". ... what i do remember is to put it into the kernel boot parameters. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Login password(s) not accepted
    ... Then I decided to upgrade KDE to v4.8.2 - which I had successfully done on the 32-bit system - using this repository: ... used a fresh install of 12.1, ... But nothing would work at the start without first typing "nomodeset" at the beginning of the installation process :-( . ... sessions were selected after a KDE upgrade, and fixing was as easy as choosing "KDE plasma workspace". ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: 10.04? No thanks, I give up!
    ... my video output fixed. ... Tonight I finally gave up and decided to do a new install from the ... Live disk using nomodeset, installed and rebooted like a trooper, ... 1501 - there are lots of emails in the bug lists, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Fedora 15 with Acer Aspire
    ... I couldn't get GNOME 3 running, ... To unsubscribe or change subscription options: ... "nomodeset" was already there as a kernel argument. ... When I tried to install Fedora it said that it is booting from the cd ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: ubuntu-10,4 - Unable to instal
    ... bottom centre of the screen. ... You could try the nomodeset option: At the start screen of the CD after ... selecting your language press the F6 key and select the line ... I had to go with the "nomodeset" on the install CD boot. ...
    (Ubuntu)