Re: [opensuse] new flash update crashes in seconds watching cnn video [workaround]

On Sunday, May 13, 2012 03:48:02 AM Carl Hartung wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2012 22:19:37 -0500
Ricardo Chung <ricardo.a.chung@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

- - - - - 8< - - - - -

I found a silly solution to all flash-player video crashes and the
people on it turning their skin blue.

Flash-Player 235 made some changes on video behavior on my side and
other people's computer on this mailing list.

I did some tests with 32 bit and 64 bit systems, GNOME and KDE,
openSUSE 11.4 and 12.1.

I did some tests with different video card adapters including nVIDIA,
ATI, GMA and Pineview Intel Controller. Including propietary and free
drivers.

It looks related to propietary drivers installed and 64 bit systems.
Same hardware with 32 bit system and free drivers are not impacted
disregard the video adapter cards.

Conclusion:

If you find the Video Flash Player Crash or people showin blue skins.
Reload and/or Go to YouTube or any video hoster. Stop the video
playing. Mouse Right- Click on Video image will show a contextual
dialog. Move the pointer to Setting option and press Left-Click on
it. It will show several tab. Choose Display Tab, Uncheck the
Hardware Acceleration box. Reload your favorite video and voila. No
more crashes.

Regards,

Hi Ricardo,

I rolled flashplayer back to the last working (for me) version and
locked it there. I'm too busy to run experiments right now. I'll try
your solution and report back soon. Thank you for doing the hard work
and writing such a clear description! :-)

regards,

Carl

Welcome. If you find the workaround useful post your comments.

I did a more extensive tests

It has been hard to find what is causing the Adobe Flash-Player 11.2.202.235
video crash and ocassionally showing people on video with blue skins.

1) I had found no issues on 32 bit system at all on my last research. Not
completely true right now. Some unpredictable conditions appears to show the
flash video crashes at early beginning or a few minutes later it begins or
jumping from one video to another. Ramdomly, it will come.

2) It does not matter what video card adapter (integrated or modular), drivers
type (free or propietary), kernel type (2.6.37 or 3.1.10-1.9)-not tested on
upper kernel yet or derivatives (desktop, default, pae, etc..)

Some of Video Card Adapters already tested:
-nVIDIA Quaddro NVS160M (NV98)
-nVIDIA GeForce FX7200
-ATI Radeon HD 4850
-Intel i915
-Intel GMA 915GM
-Intel Pineview Integrated Graphic Controller
-
Everyone crashed on different conditions. Not happen on older Flash-Player
versions.

3) The only temporary workaround is still

If you find the Video Flash Player Crash or people showin blue skins.
Reload it and Go to YouTube or any video hoster. Stop the video
playing. Point your Pointer or Mouse Right- Click on Video image and it will
show a contextual dialog. Move the pointer to Setting option and press Left-
Click on it. It will show several tab. Choose Display Tab, Uncheck the
Hardware Acceleration box. Reload your favorite video and voila. No more
crashes or people with coloured skins.

Regards,
--
Ricardo Chung | Panama