Re: [opensuse] API mismatch for NVIDIA driver and kernel module

On 05/16/2012 07:10 PM, Terry Eck wrote:
On 05/15/2012 09:22 PM, george olson wrote:

What was the software you were updating?
It was a series of rpms provided by opensuse update. At the time
it looked like about 30-40 rpms. Did not pay much attention at the time.

Also, if you type the following in a konsole, what do you get:
rpm -qa | grep kernel
eck@linux-m1kc:~> rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-desktop-3.1.10-1.9.1.i586
kernel-firmware-20111025git-1.7.1.noarch
eck@linux-m1kc:~>

The original error message did not prevent motv from running.

I just recently installed a proprietary nvidia driver on my desktop and I had to make sure that I had kernel-source and kernel-devel installed in order to rebuild the kernel using the nvidia utility.

It seems that you have 3 choices for a driver. You can try and use the opensuse nvidia repository and make sure the driver works from there, or you can try to install the nouveau driver, which is happily used by many people here, or you can look into how to install the proprietary driver that matches your nvidia graphics card, which will require a kernel rebuild (which isn't as scary as it sounds, as I am not a techie and I just learned how to do it).

I would say that probably the fastest way to fix it would be to use the nouvea driver. Do a search in yast or zypper to find the nouveau driver and install it, and then see if it works. If it doesn't, let us know which video card you have by typing the following as root in the command line:

hwinfo --gfxcard

and then we can see about installing one of the other 2 nvidia drivers available to try and make it work.

--
G.O.
Box #1: 12.1 | KDE 4.8.3 | AMD Athlon X3 | 64 | nVidia C61 GeForce 7025 | 4GB RAM