Re: [opensuse] Re: API mismatch for NVIDIA driver and kernel module

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 08:00:18PM +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 17/05/12 17:21, Philipp Thomas wrote:
On 05/17/2012 03:15 AM, george olson wrote:

I just recently installed a proprietary nvidia driver on my desktop and
I had to make sure that I had kernel-source and kernel-devel installed
in order to rebuild the kernel using the nvidia utility.
Why don't you use the driver rpm available? You just have to add the
nvidia software repository.

Because I have this repo enabled and when I do "zypper up" and a new
version of the kernel is installed, the nvidia driver from this repo
does nothing - it isn't even updated during the same "zypper up" process
- and I have to install the driver from the nVidia site.

You do not need to, due to the KMP magic the previous driver will just
continue to work.

To avoid all this crap, I simply just install the nVidia driver using
"sh NVIDIA*". Saves a lot of angst.

Ciao, Marcus