[opensuse] Power failed, won't boot up to desktop

Hi,
my friends suffered a power failure at their farm while their computer
was running opensuse 11.4. When the power came back on, opensuse won't
boot back up.

When they try to boot the computer, they get to a screen that says

FAILED:module ata_piix not found

I tried putting the computer in text mode (level 3) to see if I could do
a zypper up or zypper dup in the hopes that that would repair the
problem. But it didn't work, what came up was a notice in red that says
something like REPAIR FILE SYSTEM.

Can someone on the list help me to correct this problem?

Thanks.

  • Re: [opensuse] Power failed, wont boot up to desktop
    ... my friends suffered a power failure at their farm while their computer ... was running opensuse 11.4. ... When they try to boot the computer, they get to a screen that says ... The assumption to what I write is that the file system being used is one ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Power failed, wont boot up to desktop
    ... my friends suffered a power failure at their farm while their computer ... was running opensuse 11.4. ... When they try to boot the computer, they get to a screen that says ... The assumption to what I write is that the file system being used is one ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Power failed, wont boot up to desktop
    ... my friends suffered a power failure at their farm while their computer ... was running opensuse 11.4. ... a zypper up or zypper dup in the hopes that that would repair the ... something like REPAIR FILE SYSTEM. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
    ... Boot up your computer from your Windows XP installation CD. ... This is a dual boot system with Win2K on the primary partition, ... This all started occurring after a power failure. ... this) is check out the HDD with the diagnostic utility available from the ...
  • faster booting
    ... We have several network services hosted on a FreeBSD system, and want it to come up quickly, so that these services (dhcp, nameservice, nis, tftp etc) are available when systems are restarting after a prolonged power failure. ... In most cases the clients hang because essential services are not available, and in most cases the clients do not proceed to boot later when the service does become available. ...
    (freebsd-questions)