[opensuse] Power failed, won't boot up to desktop

Hi,
my friends suffered a power failure at their farm while their computer
was running opensuse 11.4. When the power came back on, opensuse won't
boot back up.

When they try to boot the computer, they get to a screen that says

FAILED:module ata_piix not found

I tried putting the computer in text mode (level 3) to see if I could do
a zypper up or zypper dup in the hopes that that would repair the
problem. But it didn't work, what came up was a notice in red that says
something like REPAIR FILE SYSTEM.

Can someone on the list help me to correct this problem?

Thanks.