[opensuse] Firewall blocking mpd server

Hi,

I'm using openSUSE 12.1 and KDE 4.8.4 on both my desktop machine and my
laptop (a Dell Insiron 1525). On my desktop machine I am running mpd
(Music Player Daemon) which acts as a server to various mpd client
programs. I use gmpc (Gnome Music Player Client) in the GUI, and mpc on
the command line. I can play music on the desktop machine.

What I want to do is run gmpc on my laptop, so that I can control the
music stream from that machine. It works when I disable the firewall on
the desktop machine, so what I'm trying to find out is how to make the
necessary hole in the firewall. The mpd server listens on port 6600.

In YaST:Firewall Configuration:Allowed Services I have enabled rsync
server and ssh (for reasons unrelated to this problem). In Custom Rules,
I have created an entry as follows

Source network: 192.168.1.20 (the laptop's LAN address)
Protocol: TCP
Destination port: 6600
Source port: 6600

When re-enable the firewall, the gmpc client on the laptop is unable to
connect to the mpd server.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I could post the mpd.conf files
if anyone thought that would help, though I think the problem is in the
firewall, as the connection works with the firewall off.

Bob
--
Bob Williams
System: Linux 3.1.10-1.16-desktop

  • Re: [opensuse] Firewall blocking mpd server
    ... I'm using openSUSE 12.1 and KDE 4.8.4 on both my desktop machine and my ... What I want to do is run gmpc on my laptop, so that I can control the ... It works when I disable the firewall on ... The mpd server listens on port 6600. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: How to network Win 2K with XP?
    ... If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native Firewall should be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to your Network IP numbers on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult your 3rd Party Firewall instructions. ... I'd like to use the laptop from bed to access the files on my desk machine. ... the desktop machine and use its hard drive to back up files from the desktop. ...
  • Strange Thunderbird IMAP problem
    ... One is a laptop, running Vectorlinux-4.2; ... Now the Fedora machine can no longer access my gmail IMAP account; ... There are no firewall rules blocking gmail on the desktop machine: ... Chain FORWARD ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Wireless considerably faster one way than the other
    ... plugged into network hub. ... The Access Point is approximately 3 inches away from the laptop. ... installed it on a desktop machine and the laptop. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Strange Thunderbird IMAP problem
    ... One is a laptop, running Vectorlinux-4.2; ... Now the Fedora machine can no longer access my gmail IMAP account; ... There are no firewall rules blocking gmail on the desktop machine: ... Chain FORWARD ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)