[opensuse] oracle VirtualBox backup

12.1 with vb 4.1.18

Hi everyone

Backing up a 16GB vdi to USB via rsync takes over 30 minutes, even though I have changed only one file within the VM.

I realise the VM is one file, but is there a way of syncing it without doing the whole vdi each time?

L x

  • Re: [opensuse] oracle VirtualBox backup
    ... On 09/07/12 01:18, Greg Freemyer wrote: ... Backing up a 16GB vdi to USB via rsync takes over 30 minutes, ... I think the problem is that rsync was really designed for a situation where you have fast disks on each end and a slow pipe between. ... A usb drive doesn't qualify for that. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] oracle VirtualBox backup
    ... Backing up a 16GB vdi to USB via rsync takes over 30 minutes, ... I think the problem is that rsync was really designed for a situation where you have fast disks on each end and a slow pipe between. ... A usb drive doesn't qualify for that. ... Current generation external drives are usb-3 and you can get a pci express card for $20 I think. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] oracle VirtualBox backup
    ... Backing up a 16GB vdi to USB via rsync takes over 30 minutes, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] oracle VirtualBox backup
    ... Backing up a 16GB vdi to USB via rsync takes over 30 minutes, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] oracle VirtualBox backup
    ... We have to go with rsync as cp does not seem to honour acls. ... wonder if there is a way to get inside the vdi to tell it to sync just the ... larger zone, or or worse, several small zones. ...
    (SuSE)