Re: Newbie in Love

Richard Colbert Jr wrote:

First let me say that until very recently (as in yesterday) I have never owned a usable Mac computer. I have had a few vintage systems over the years but nothing I would even consider using on a daily basis. I am also NOT a LINUX GURU. I have played around with numerous distro’s on numerous machines, but never been able to get one to work to my satisfaction; until today!

Yesterday, I bought a used iMac (Tangerine 400Mhz.). The OS9 on it was corrupted and kept crashing. I don’t have any MAC disks so reinstalling OS9 was out of the question. So I decided to do a little work. I disassembled the iMac. Upgraded the memory from 64mb to 128mb, replaced the 10GB Maxtor hard drive with a 40GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM hard drive. Then came the tough part, what to install on it. A few months ago, I ordered a bunch of Ubuntu disks (with the intention of using them, but never did), so I decided let me try Ubuntu “Breezy Barracuda” on this machine. I stuck the disk in, turned on the mac, answered 4 questions and without rebooting was at the desktop with ALL HARDWARE WORKING and was surfing the internet.

Well, at this point I was very happy! Then I got a notice (almost immediately) that there were updates. So I clicked to install them….three clicks and everything on the system was updated. Now I am very very happy! Then I took a look at the installed software, pretty good selection, but there was a bunch of stuff I want missing. So I clicked on the System>Add Programs and was shown a huge list of additional software. I chose about 40 things (way too much, I know) and within 5 minutes they were all downloaded, installed and working with 0 CONFIGURATION or ERRORS. Holy crap I am happy now. However, there were still a few things I wanted like DVD ripping burning software which was given as an option cause I don’t have it hooked up yet. So I went to the Package Manager and selected a bunch more stuff. In a few minutes, it was all downloaded and installed. Again with no errors. This is freaking amazing!

Then I decided I would throw it for a loop and connect an internal BenQ DL DVD+-R/W burner that has been converted to an external usb device. Surely this will cause problems, right? WRONG! Much to my utter astonishment it detected, installed and opened the disk that was in the drive with NO PROMPTS at all. Now keep in mind, I still haven’t rebooted since the initial boot to start the install. How can this be? WindowsXX could never do this, NEVER EVER NEVER! I have to be dreaming right!

That's true, windows would have required numerous reboots. But did you say you installed an optical drive while the comptuer was running? If so, best to avoid that, because it is bad for both the drive and the motherboard.

Well after pinching myself till I drew blood, I finally realized this was not a dream, it was one hell of a good Operating System. Time to find a bug now, I am determined to find something wrong. So now, without rebooting still I’m going to try and rip this DVD from the newly connected External DVD burner, then try and burn it back using the same DVD burner. This will kill it, surely!

So I open up Acid Rip and crap it only rips audio cd’s. Now what???

Actually, acidrip does rip video dvd's, but in my opinion, Dvd::rip is a better program.

Well let me try GnomeBaker, I open it up, click Copy Data CD, select Create ISO Only and away we go! It’s actually doing it! This is un-freaking-believable! Well after about 45 minutes, I had a completely successful rip of my DVD. So now to try and burn it back to disk. Still using GnomeBaker I load the ISO and click burn. And guess what, it failed instantly.Apparently when I inserted the disk it auto-mounted so I got an error “unable to unmount”. Well well well! The first error of any kind. So I close GnomeBaker. Now I have a problem, I am using the 1 button iMac mouse so I can’t right-click unmount/eject the blank disk. Attempts to unmount from the command line all return errors. How the heck can I eject the disk….ARGH? Woohoo I figured it out….From the command line I can type “eject /media/cdrecorder” and walla I get my blank disk back. Now to reinsert and see if I get an Auto-Load menu. Nope, no Auto-Load menu. But the disk is mounted, again. Time to fix this. So I go to System>Preferences>Removable Drives and Media Preferences. There I configure the Blank CD and DVD Discs settings to open GnomeBaker when a blank disc is inserted. Time to eject and try again. What do ya know, it is burning now! Woohoo, and I still haven’t rebooted since I started the install of Ubuntu. This absolutely defies everything I though I knew about computers (and I’ve owned my own computer business for 11 years). Well after a little break to watch a recorded episode of Surface I came back to find the burn was successful.

All I can say, if a group of people doing this in there spare time, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MICROSOFT?

PS – I will be making the switch to Open Source PERMANENTLY thanks to Ubuntu. I will also advise everyone I know to make the switch too. In fact, any computers I build for now on will come pre-installed with Ubuntu if I have any say in the matter (customers may not like that idea).

Richard Colbert

“Recent Ubuntu Convert”

YIM: cmptrgeeknshermantx

ICQ: 14466429

MSN: pcheaven2k@xxxxxxxxxxx

Sasha

  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 56, Issue 402
    ... Play With Ubuntu, Now Mac Won't Boot! ... openoffice3..deb and install it). ... thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk. ... Play With Ubuntu, Now Mac Won't Boot! ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • RE: Novice (aka beginner) Ubuntu user
    ... something to do with your disk, or the disk partitions, a boot loader or or ... I've had Many many problems attempting to install ubuntu with NO success. ... On a new machine with new disks, I initially installed Windows server 2003. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Seeking Help
    ... As far as I am aware, the only REAL and painless way to install Ubuntu from ... a DVD is to buy the DVD from a place such as On-Disk.com (Ric! ... There is a well known and very well respected member of this mail list who has been promoting the idea that people who are having hassles with downloading the necessary files using the internet to buy a DVD - I repeat DVD - from the site I mentioned because it contained *all* the files necessary to install Ubuntu. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Novice (aka beginner) Ubuntu user
    ... something to do with your disk, or the disk partitions, a boot loader or or ... if you have SATA drives, they are not supported very well, if at all ... I've had Many many problems attempting to install ubuntu with NO success. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Migrate Ubuntu to a bigger disk on a laptop
    ... I have ubuntu 8.10 running on my laptop. ... It is a 40gb disk. ... need to use shred (or break the hard disk into smithereens). ... aptitude to install all the new pkgs ...
    (Ubuntu)