apt-get upgrade & gconftool-2

Whenver I apt-get upgrade dapper and any Gnome packages get upgraded it
takes FOREVER, like an hour to upgrade ~50 packages, due to gconftool-2
sucking massive amounts of CPU.  This used to be really fast.

It seems that for each package gconftool-2 regenerates a TON of XML
files over and over and over again, like everything
in /var/lib/gconf/defaults 20 or 30 times per package.  As my CPU is not
that fast it takes all day...

Are there any plans to fix this terrible bloat?

Lee

  • Updating problem with my woody.
    ... Last night I ran apt-get update and apt-get upgrade on a remote server ... apt-get install apache ... The following extra packages will be installed: ...
    (Debian-User)
  • 2.6.15-1-686 Kernel Wont Upgrade
    ... Packages(media player upgrade in order to play vider). ... installing new version: Operation not permitted". ... The following packages have been kept back: ... localepurge: checking system for new locale ... ...
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: Some thoughts about Fedora Core 1 packages upgrade
    ... Some thoughts about Fedora Core 1 packages upgrade ... [duncan@smallberries rpms]$ cat checkit ... > Master server for all my hundreds of clients. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Unable to upgrade NSLU2 running debian
    ... All of the perl errors are gone, but the dpkg upgrade still fails. ... Reading package lists... ... The following packages have been kept back: ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Apt Gone Mad?-Or Is It Me?-Expert Help Needed
    ... So tried to upgrade OO to 2.0 but Apt refused to do so. ... Aptitude doesn't show anything but Wajig shows unmet dependency for kdelibs-data. ... The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED: agsync arson barcode brahms cdda2wav cddb digikam digikamimageplugins gmessage guarddog guidedog hotswap-gui hotswap-text i2e id3v2 kbarcode kbear kbiff kdebase-dev kdirstat kile kimdaba klog klogic kmymoney2 knetfilter knutclient komba2 kover kprof kpsk krusader ksimus ksimus-boolean ksimus-datarecorder ksimus-floatingpoint ksocrat ksocrat-data kvdr kvirc kvirc-data kvirc-doc kwavecontrol kxmleditor lesstif2 libdynamite libimlib2-dev libkonq4-dev libmimedir liborange ... ChatagnierL-Home:/temp# wajig install openoffice.org Reading Package Lists... ...
    (Debian-User)