apt-get upgrade & gconftool-2

Whenver I apt-get upgrade dapper and any Gnome packages get upgraded it
takes FOREVER, like an hour to upgrade ~50 packages, due to gconftool-2
sucking massive amounts of CPU.  This used to be really fast.

It seems that for each package gconftool-2 regenerates a TON of XML
files over and over and over again, like everything
in /var/lib/gconf/defaults 20 or 30 times per package.  As my CPU is not
that fast it takes all day...

Are there any plans to fix this terrible bloat?

Lee

  • Updating problem with my woody.
    ... Last night I ran apt-get update and apt-get upgrade on a remote server ... apt-get install apache ... The following extra packages will be installed: ...
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: Some thoughts about Fedora Core 1 packages upgrade
    ... Some thoughts about Fedora Core 1 packages upgrade ... [duncan@smallberries rpms]$ cat checkit ... > Master server for all my hundreds of clients. ...
    (Fedora)
  • 2.6.15-1-686 Kernel Wont Upgrade
    ... Packages(media player upgrade in order to play vider). ... installing new version: Operation not permitted". ... The following packages have been kept back: ... localepurge: checking system for new locale ... ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Unable to upgrade NSLU2 running debian
    ... All of the perl errors are gone, but the dpkg upgrade still fails. ... Reading package lists... ... The following packages have been kept back: ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Issues dist-upgrading Etch to Lenny - 1 week old
    ... have been bypassing that step in my upgrade regimen. ... I mean libgphoto2 is broken and not installing properly. ... 500 http://ftp.debian.org testing/main Packages ... use) kamera, kde, and a slew of other things. ...
    (Debian-User)