Re: 2 USB related questions: Very Wierd Behaviour

AA wrote:

Hello all, I have Ubuntu 5.10 installed on my Toshiba
Satellite M45-S169. I am experiencing some oddities
with regards to the USB ports on this machine.

I have 3 USB 2.0 ports, but Ubuntu device manager sees
it as 1 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 1.1 ports. Any ideas as to
why this may be?

I can't say I know _why_, but I do know my system has never reported the
same number of ports as I expect, yet they all work as USB2, so I think you
should try high-speed devices in all your ports and see if there really
_is_ only one USB2 port.

I started noticing this when I tried
to work with a USB mouse, (which is apparently not
possible to reliably do),

It certainly is. I use one routinely.

That brings me to the second USB related question: as
far as the external HD goes I also have firewire
available to me, but which is better? USB 2.0 or
Firewire?

That's a religious question :-) Probably, the Firewire port is
_technically_ better. I bet that, in most cases, a USB device will be
cheaper.
--
derek

  • Re: Networking and External USB HardDrives?
    ... >> to get a firewire interface, ... >> invariably much faster than USB, ... Your typical HD is FASTER than the USB interface, ... you can use the firewire ports on the PC. ...
  • Re: Downloading from an Hitachi DVD camcorder
    ... > that one needs a Firewire. ... USB ports became popular beginning in the mid 1990's. ... If you need the expansion card for Firewire or USB 2.0, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker)
  • Re: AHCI - remove probing of ata2
    ... ACPI: bus type pci registered ... registered new interface driver hub ... USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v3.0 ... hub 1-0:1.0: 2 ports detected ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Laptop as a DAW: sanity check
    ... plug, or a 4-pin plug if you're powering it externally. ... I would highly recommend separate Firewire ports for the audio ... I use a USB port to connect to an external disk drive. ... Not only separate ports, ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Help interpreting AHCI failure messages
    ... investigate I decided to try putting the root fs on a usb memory stick ... PERCPU: Allocating 57344 bytes of per cpu data ... registered new interface driver hub ... hub 1-0:1.0: 6 ports detected ...
    (Linux-Kernel)