Re: 2 USB related questions: Very Wierd Behaviour

AA wrote:

Hello all, I have Ubuntu 5.10 installed on my Toshiba
Satellite M45-S169. I am experiencing some oddities
with regards to the USB ports on this machine.

I have 3 USB 2.0 ports, but Ubuntu device manager sees
it as 1 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 1.1 ports. Any ideas as to
why this may be?

I can't say I know _why_, but I do know my system has never reported the
same number of ports as I expect, yet they all work as USB2, so I think you
should try high-speed devices in all your ports and see if there really
_is_ only one USB2 port.

I started noticing this when I tried
to work with a USB mouse, (which is apparently not
possible to reliably do),

It certainly is. I use one routinely.

That brings me to the second USB related question: as
far as the external HD goes I also have firewire
available to me, but which is better? USB 2.0 or
Firewire?

That's a religious question :-) Probably, the Firewire port is
_technically_ better. I bet that, in most cases, a USB device will be
cheaper.
--
derek