Re: How to create a custom install CD for a DNS appliance, "Powered by Ubuntu"

"

Tristan RHODES wrote:
Tristan RHODES wrote:

Greetings,

I want to create an Ubuntu derivative that serves a very specific
purpose, a DNS appliance. I want to take the Ubuntu server install,
modify the system to operate as a DNS appliance, and then create a

CD or

DVD that anyone can use to install the DNS appliance, "Powered by
Ubuntu".

I have looked into installing with OEM mode, but that doesn't let

you

create an install CD based on the modified system. I searched the

forum,

but did not come up with anything. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tristan Rhodes

See the link below - The info there has improved the in the last

month

or so and may now be complete. What you want to do is not easy but it

is

doable.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InstallCDCustomizationHowTo
Tim J

Tim,

That wiki page is exactly what I was looking for. After reading about
this complex process, I feel more inclined to simply provide a "How To"
and/or a BASH script to setup a DNS/DHCP server on a default Ubuntu
system.

I should point out that there is a nice script at the bottom of that
wiki page, which would make the process much easier. However, it
appears that the process only changes which packages are installed, and
it doesn't allow other types of customization (unless I wanted to create
new packages).

Tristan Rhodes

Tristan
Yes it is a lot to go through. You can do a lot of things in the
preeseed file if you go to the trouble of recreating an install disk.
You can script a lot of things with the "d-i preseed/late_command", but
creating a .deb to do customizations and adding it to the install disk
via the extras path as outlined on the page would be the path to take if
you really need to do a lot of things.

Tim