Re: Live Cd Persistence

On Sun, 2006-19-02 at 09:07 +1100, Yuki Cuss wrote:
I believe the implication is that you use persistent as a kernel argument;
`` Hit <F4>, enter in “persistent” on the kernel arguments list and boot
into your new custom Live CD environment. ''

Eg. type `linux persistent'.

Is this a joke?! You have to type in Mystic Incantations<tm> at boot
time to get to use your USB key's persistence? Why not just make the
Live CD look for the device "casper-cow" (or whatever) automatically and
just load it if present and ignore it if not present? What, exactly, is
gained by making people type random crap on the keyboard at boot time if
they happen to want to save settings between sessions?

--
Michael T. Richter
Email: ttmrichter@xxxxxxxxx, mtr1966@xxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Live Cd Persistence
    ... into your new custom Live CD environment. ... Eg. type `linux persistent'. ... Is this a joke?! ... You have to type in Mystic Incantationsat boot ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: RH 9.0 doesnt install: blank screen! (RH 8.0 & 7.2 do though)
    ... Tried 'linux text noprobe skipddc noapic apm=off noht'. ... I wanted to try on and so I chose 7 boot options: ... linux text noprobe skipddc lowres apm=off noapic nousb ...
    (linux.redhat.install)
  • Re: installation problems
    ... RH 9 had trashed my Linux partition and rendered my PC unbootable. ... >you can create the floppy from and can be created on a differnet ... >on the CD as the floppy boot image. ... and since flash drives seem to be listed in /proc as scsi devices, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Subject: Linux hacked ... After you boot up into the OS running from CD, ... >> First let me say I'm a security novice. ... >> been unsuccessful in getting root back. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: New to linux..looking for program I can boot and run off CD
    ... >>and he was using a windows os but booted and run Linux programs off a CD. ... >having to do a dual boot thing on my current machine. ... > That would be Knoppix or one of it's derivatives. ...
    (alt.linux)