Re: Fw: NOT HAPPY after Breezy upgrade/install
- From: Alfred Vahau <Alf.Vahau@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 12:55:50 +1000
I had an issue with manual config in 5.10.
My problem was solved when I used the
System->Networking->Administration menu to
both enable the interface as well as activate it.
And it worked. I didn't both to figure out why the manual
config didn't work contrary to my expectation.
Jay Ridgley wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: Jay Ridgley <mailto:jridgley2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Peter Garrett <mailto:peter.garrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ubuntu-users@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ubuntu-users@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 8:41 PM
Subject: Re: NOT HAPPY after Breezy upgrade/install
Sorry for the direct reply, however, I have limited means to provide information. An * indicates my response,
I appologize for the length and any mispellings.
What would you suggest I try next?
On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 20:50:27 -0500
"Jay Ridgley" <jridgley2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jridgley2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> This is hard for me to say, however, after I did an upgrade from a working 5.04 Ubuntu installation to 5.10. I discovered that networking did not work anymore.
Can you be more specific?
* I have a small network (3 systems + firewall system). Prior to the latest attempt to upgradge, it was working fine.
afterwards I am no longer able to ping from my main workstation to the other systems. If I manually enter:
sudo ifconfig eth0 polar netmask 255.255.255.0 I am able to do so. However I am still unable to get to the outside world ie. "The net" from that system, yet I am able to get there from the other systems I am using. One is a laptop that runs MS Windows ( I want to convert it as well but not yet..). It is the one I am using for this connection! It is connected to my network and is called nomad (see below) What was/is your network setup?
* All hardwired systems (cat 5) with a hub.
* polar 192.168.x.4 ursa 192.168.x.3 nomad 192.168.x.10 <---- workstations
* mateo 192.168.x.2 <---- firewall, gateway also connects to the "Net" via a 2nd NIC via a dynamic IP cable * connection. It is also my nameserver.
What is thecontents of /etc/network/interfaces ?
* This file contained the wrong IP address for polar, I thought AHA I found it, but after correcting that and all * all other entries accociated with it, including /etc/networks. I rebooted -- no joy -- had to add the eth0 manually.
* no other changes in behavior have been discovered.
Was your nic recognised?
* Indications are that it is being recognized because when I do an ifconfig -a before doing the ifconfig for eth0 it
* shows everything but the IP address. The loopback interface ( lo) shows up as well. The tulip driver is being
* loaded during boot.
What hardware are you using?
* An Intel box with a 686 processor, scsi disks, tape and CDRW and an IDE CD (added specifically to support
* Ubuntu, but that is another matter). Plus the other necessary HW including the NIC.
"Did not work" in what sense? <-- see above
Could you pingbetween network machines? <-- see above and below
Were you unable to connect to the Internet? <-- see above and below
Are you using cable, dialup, adsl ? Cable Do you use Samba? <-- NO NFS? <-- NO And so on...
* The following commands are what I have been using to get as far as I have. Note x stands for the the third node of
* the quad, it is correct.
* ifconfig <-- shows ONLY lo
* route -n <-- shows nothing bu the header
* ifconfig -a <-- no eth0 IP address but eth0, lo and sit0 show up
* sudo ifconfig eth0 polar netmask 255.255.255.0
* ifconfig -a <--- shows the correct IP address for eth0 all the others are unchanged
* -- NOW I can ping other systems on my network
* route -n <--- shows an entry for eth0
* sudo route add -net 192.168.x.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw mateo
* route -n <-- the added gateway line is added and appears correct
* ping yahoo.com <-- unknown host, I still am able to ping within my network
> After several attempts to manually configure it with no success I decided
> to do an install.
An install? Do you mean a complete OS reinstall ? <-- Yes What do you mean exactly?
* I booted from an install disk for 5.10 direct from Canonical. And did a default installation, just like I did
* when I initially brought up 5.04.
> The results of that activity were also less than what I
> wanted... networking still broke, thunderbird is not there, and some other
> minor items are also not right.
As far as I know, Thunderbird is not installed by default in Ubuntu -
Evolution is (although IIRC Thunderbird is on the disc)
> I have been using Linux for years and this has been about the most frustrating experience I have had.
That's unfortunate - we might be better able to help with a bit more
detail about your setup and a bit more precision - for instance, do you
have any error messages you can tell us about? ( Alt-F4 in the installer
might tell you what went wrong on the reinstall, for example, or the
install logs in /var/log/installer ? )
* Nothing indicating any errors, so I guess all was OK.
> Can I go back to 5.04 from 5.10?
If you mean a direct downgrade, I don't think so - at least not without a
lot of frustrating fiddling about.
> At least it was working except for supporting a new HP PSC1610 printer
> I purchased. That was the reason for the move to 5.10, it was suggested that perhaps it would be easier
> to debug the problem.
> My only other alternative is to go back to RedHat 7.3, which was what I was using when I moved to Ubuntu.
Red Hat 7.3 was a great distro - but that was a few years ago...
* It was working just fine for me, except I wanted to get some of the new things like firefox and thunderbird.
* I converted to Ubuntu in January, I liked it! When I bought the printer i could not get it to be recognized
* and the person working with me suggested upgrading to 5.10.
Linux User #343161
Thanks for the hints,
ubuntu-users mailing list
- Fw: NOT HAPPY after Breezy upgrade/install
- From: Jay Ridgley
- Fw: NOT HAPPY after Breezy upgrade/install
- Prev by Date: Re: Fw: NOT HAPPY after Breezy upgrade/install
- Next by Date: Re: Sudoers list?
- Previous by thread: Re: Fw: NOT HAPPY after Breezy upgrade/install
- Next by thread: Re: No Subject