Re: Ubuntu Security and 2 nic's

Gallagher, Tim (NE) schrieb:

I have an a Ubuntu setup with 2 nic's. I have some computers trying to
communicate with a ip address that we filter out of our router. I have
created a VLAN of the offending ip address and I now have eth0 on Ubuntu
box assigned to that IP. For logging purposes I want to be able to
connect to the box on another nic and see the traffic that is coming
into the nic with the offending ip. I WANT to make sure that traffic is
not routed between the 2 nic's how can I do that. I do not want any
routes or bridging to happen between the 2 nics. Any advice on how to
do this?

Thanks,
-T

hi

i think what you search is a passive ethernet tap

it's a kind of a y ethernet adapter, and you need 1 network card for sniffing each way and noboy sees what's going on and when your pc is down, the network connection is still available.

here a link to build such a thing

http://www.snort.org/docs/tap/

i tested it about 1,5 year ago and everything worked smoothly!

regards
martin

  • Re: Ubuntu Security and 2 nics
    ... created a VLAN of the offending ip address and I now have eth0 on Ubuntu ... routes or bridging to happen between the 2 nics. ... i think what you search is a passive ethernet tap ... it's a kind of a y ethernet adapter, and you need 1 network card for sniffing each way and noboy sees what's going on and when your pc is down, the network connection is still available. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Ubuntu Security and 2 nics
    ... communicate with a ip address that we filter out of our router. ... created a VLAN of the offending ip address and I now have eth0 on Ubuntu ... routes or bridging to happen between the 2 nics. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: network problem
    ... Ive tried another base unit on the cable which ... I then took the offending PC home and hooked it up to my network ... >connection and hey presto the PC connected no problem at all! ... >Ive also tried another network card with the same result. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)