Re: how to debug broken hibernate?

"Colin" == Colin Brace <cwb@xxxxxx> writes:

Colin> Hi all, I just installed Dapper on an Acer Aspire 5500Z
Colin> laptop. Suspend works fine, but alas hibernate does not;

I might as well pile on -- I have Dapper on a Dell Latitude C640, and
neither hibernate nor suspend works.

* When I try to hibernate, all that happens is: the disk churns for a
few seconds, the screen blanks, and then I see the "please enter
your password" prompt from the screen saver.

* Suspending per se seems to work -- the screen goes dark, and the
various lights on the laptop turn off. But when I press the power
button, and the machine comes back to life, the screen is garbled,
and the only cure I know of is a reboot.

If it matters, the video card is

ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon Mobility 9000 (M7 LW)

--
... there are any number of partisan Democrats lurking in
engineering departments and liberal moles in software-writing