Re: how to debug broken hibernate?

"Colin" == Colin Brace <cwb@xxxxxx> writes:

Colin> Hi all, I just installed Dapper on an Acer Aspire 5500Z
Colin> laptop. Suspend works fine, but alas hibernate does not;

I might as well pile on -- I have Dapper on a Dell Latitude C640, and
neither hibernate nor suspend works.

* When I try to hibernate, all that happens is: the disk churns for a
few seconds, the screen blanks, and then I see the "please enter
your password" prompt from the screen saver.

* Suspending per se seems to work -- the screen goes dark, and the
various lights on the laptop turn off. But when I press the power
button, and the machine comes back to life, the screen is garbled,
and the only cure I know of is a reboot.

If it matters, the video card is

ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon Mobility 9000 (M7 LW)

--
... there are any number of partisan Democrats lurking in
engineering departments and liberal moles in software-writing

  • Re: Why doesnt my laptop hibernate or standby when on AC power?
    ... You said it was an old laptop. ... Since your laptop will manually suspend and hibernate, ... the power settings are properly set, I would see if you can set it to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: suspend / hibernate
    ... very high system load. ... Slight thread hijack but the problem I have is that hibernate works ... and I am able to recover on restart but suspend shuts down but does ... On HP-TX1000 laptop right now the kernel is 2.6.24-19-generic on ...
    (Debian-User)
  • hibernate/suspend problems
    ... I installed f10 on my laptop. ... hibernate works quite badly: very long time to hibernate, ... suspend does not work at all: suspend, yes, then no possibility to ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: switching xorg.conf configurations?
    ... x driver, but my laptop will neither suspend nor hibernate when they're ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Headless server just got suspended by updating systemd
    ... laptop, while I was upgrading through an ssh session, suddenly ... suspend mode, opened the lid, and the upgrade completed). ... told the laptop NOT to suspend even though the lid was closed. ...
    (Debian-User)