Re: advice getting jre installed

Christofer C. Bell wrote:

On 6/29/06, deadgobby <ulist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Try running Automatix. Read first before Dl and installing.

I've heard nothing but horror stories about Automatix. I'd recommend
EasyUbuntu[1] instead. In fact, ubotu, the official support infobot
of the #ubuntu IRC channel has this to say about Automatix:

Sheesh! Why not just install the _Ubuntu_ Sun Java packages! They're in
sun-java5-jre and sun-java5-jdk.
--
derek

  • Re: A little help please!
    ... installing packages using automatix and couldn't even get to the login ... The ONLY thing we need to know about Automatix is that the Ubuntu ... Even with the magic of ubuntu excellent upgrade tools, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: A little help please!
    ... installing packages using automatix and couldn't even get to the login ... A long discussion was running here about automatix and all, ... deinstall all the things that automatix installed and then if you ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Automatix?
    ... ignorant detractors that has already been beaten to death a million ... Automatix will find information about your computer before installing ... For example nvidia cards will not be installed on a machine ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: A little help please!
    ... So yeah, automatix sucks. ... installing packages using automatix and couldn't even get to the login ... configuring codecs and players shouldn't be so difficult for me. ... I have a fresh uncluttered install of Feisty. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: VNC ? again
    ... Even though I use Gnome v KDE I high recommend installing and ... testing I'd recommend turning off Ask you for confirmation - just make ... from two other systems and both work usind Krdc as the client. ... I want to access the Ubuntu desktops with both Ubuntu and Windows XP ...
    (Ubuntu)