Re: Video driver fails on Intel 810 card

Joeak;531943 Wrote:
I had exactly the same problem and after a WEEK OF FIDDLING I got it to
work. Here are the changes I made to my default Breezy install that I
think mattered:

Boot to rescue (text) mode

sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.1st

on kernel line, add "vga=771" (without the quotes) to kill the flashing
boot screen

ctrl-x to save

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Yes detect video hardware

No don't use kernel framebuffer device interface

Yes autodetect keyboard

verify videomodes 1024x768, 800x600, and 640x480 are all available

Medium monitor characteristics

1024x768 @ 60Hz

(ran startx from the # prompt and then ctrl-alt-f1 and ctrl-alt-f2
locked it up. skip this test yourself.)

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

In the screen section, change the defaultdepth to 16:

DefaultDepth 16

SubSection "Display"

Depth 16

Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

sudo shutdown -r now

The ctrl-alt-f1, ctrl-alt-f2, ctrl-alt-f7 switching works. Please post
here if you try this it works or not.

WOW! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I've never really used Linux before - and I've definitely never used
the command line shell before today. But these instructions worked
great! My story (the quick version):

I bought a C400 laptop from E-Bay and a hard drive; the seller only had
the unit, no hard drive and no disk drives. The C400, for those who
don't know, doesn't come with internal floppy or CDROM disk drives -
they only come externally or with a docking station; and I have

Anyway, I loaded Windows XP to the hard drive using my PC and then put
the HD into the C400...and nothing. Windows would not load at all.

After trying everything I could think of for about 5 days now, Linux
was my last hope. I've tried Slackware and a couple of others before,
but this time I was very fortunate to find Ubuntu. I loaded it to the
hard drive, again with the HD attached to my desktop PC; and after the
install was finished (and it was very easy, I might add), I put the HD
into the laptop and the only problem was that X wouldn't load...but I
followed these directions and now it works great!

Thanks Again!!!!

ubuntu-users mailing list