Re: The End of Linux

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 11:33:02 -0600
Wade Smart <wade@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

12062006 1132 GMT-6

I just read this story about how linux is on its last two feet. Some
good points but Im never switching back to MS even if linux totally
falls apart.

The author's main point seems to suggest that there can be no combination of WYSIWYG and command-line interfaces, which is rubbish on its face (except in Gnome, maybe, where the file browser won't even let you "Open Terminal Here" in a window).

Linux may never get 95% of PC marketshare, but that doesn't mean it will vanish from the face of the earth. Per the "Cathedral and the Bazaar" ( http://preview.tinyurl.com/3ald3 ) model, large proprietary organizations (Like MS and Apple) are always in more jeopardy than grassroots efforts.

The author is an OpenBSD user and free software advocate, so he may mean that specifically Linux is in danger, not the BSD's, but even so, his arguments are all bollocks.
--
Peter Hummers
==

  • Re: VS.NET is too EXPENSIVE. Developers switching rapidly from it.
    ... We have some linux ... "we're switching to Java and IntelliJ", ... Most professional databases cost money too ...
    (microsoft.public.vsnet.general)
  • Re: VS.NET is too EXPENSIVE. Developers switching rapidly from it.
    ... We have some linux ... "we're switching to Java and IntelliJ", ... Most professional databases cost money too ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Confession to make
    ... Shuttle boxes running various Linux flavours, ... Immediately I hit the first problem: pressing the page-up and page-down keys ... Press CMD-I to open the Inspector window, ... which is the standard OS X way of switching between ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: New to Linux
    ... Adrian wrote: ... > switching my entire setup to Linux. ... > I've looked and it seems Mandrake and Redhat are the popular ones. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)