opening ports

Hi,

About 3 or 4 months ago I installed Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake. At the
time I attempted to set up ftp. I don't have notes on everything I did,
but I am sure that I did an apt-get install proftpd (I often used this
on Debian machines). It wouldn't work. I tried lots of things, read up
on IP Tables and made modifications there, and did a lot of Goggling. I
did quite a bit of reading on Ubuntu help pages. I have heard
suggestions that ports are now turned off by default (the world would be
a safer place if someone would tell M$ about ports being off by
default). I was able to get sftp working, but I never knew exactly what
I did differently with sftp (got it to work) and ftp (did not get it to
work). The slower transfers of sftp are annoying on large files (3GB -
4GB) so I have never been happy with sftp.
Now I am ready to try ftp again. I assume that I am missing something
really simple. If it were tough I would have found something in the
FAQs and Goggle searches. Rather than beat my head against the wall
some more I'll just ask the questions:

1) How would I open ftp ports after doing an apt-get install proftpd?

2) What is the initial port configuration for Dapper Drake and how do we
control the opening and closing of ports for various "apt-get" packages
and for "home brew" code such as perl networking code development?

Thank you,
Bruce

  • Re: Can allowing ftp compromise security?
    ... I am wondering if leaving port 21 open for ftp access would ... I have all my ports closed except for SSH. ... sftp does *not* do everything FTP does. ... You have to add patches by hand to get chroot, ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: SFTP requirement
    ... > If I want to setup SFTP, besides enabling Port 22, is there ... If you've done that, then just review the firewall logs, or run a sniffer ... ports depending on how they work. ... unencrypted FTP, you've got Active and Passive FTP modes, and the ports are ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • opening ports
    ... I don't have notes on everything I did, but I am sure that I did an apt-get install proftpd. ... I have heard suggestions that ports are now turned off by default. ... I was able to get sftp working, but I never knew exactly what I did differently with sftp and ftp. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [SLE] suse 10.0 and FTP Services
    ... around with pure-ftp, tfpt, etc. and couldn't get any to work but sftp ... >> Since I have installed suse 10.0, I cannot get ftp to work properly. ... >> All ports are open on router, ... > haven't enabled any ftp in xinetd or xinetd isn't even running. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Cannot access an external SFTP site from behind SBS 2003 R2/ISA 2004! HELP!!!
    ... Base on my further research, using SFTP in Explicit mode goes over port 21, ... built in FTP filter as the commands are encrypted. ... Please open the ISA management console, navigate to Firewall Policy, ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)