Re: Latest Updates

(Aside: you keep on top-posting. Kindly, stop).

On 12/15/06, Anthony Gardner <cyclewood_ltd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I understand what both of you are saying but you're missing the point that
I'm trying to make.

I personally use the command line so this discussion doesn't bother me
............ but not everyone does.

My main point is, why does update-manager tell me things that adpet doesn't.

update-manager tells you different things because it's not the same program.

whatever distro you use, the info it tells us should be the same. So, if I

This is a nice joke to tell at parties, thanks for it. Yes, in an
ideal world, KDE, GNOME and other programs _should_ give you the same
information. However, implementation details aren't ideal, and
sometimes don't.

use update-manager on kubuntu, it shouldn't be telling me that linux-headers
are unauthenticated. The same engine should be used by all *ubuntu distros
and by all means have a different gui for whatever DM you use.

The same engine _is_ used by all 'buntus: apt-get. The
"unauthenticated repositories" doesn't appear because it's created by
the GUI, it's something apt-get passes to the GUI, unless they've
managed to seriously fsck up things in Kubuntu (don't use it, can't
tell) and implement YAPM. I doubt it, since AdePT rings a faint "apt"
bell. That the GUI decides whether to tell you or not is quite another
thing.

Are you sure it's the linux-headers package that's not authenticated,
and not some other repository there? Because I'd bet it's some
different repo that's showing there, and that you don't have in
Ubuntu.

--
Adriano Varoli Piazza
The Inside Out: http://moranar.com.ar