Re: GNU Java vs. Sun Java: What's the difference, what is better?

Dotan Cohen wrote:

On 23/12/06, Martin Marcher <martin.marcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Am 22.12.2006 um 20:01 schrieb Dotan Cohen:

What are the differences between the GNU and Sun Javas? I know that
Sun invented Java and that it was just made open source. But what I
need to know are what are the differences from a user's perspective?

referencing your next sentence you are not a normal user (university
work) most users don't even know what java is. And if your university
expects you to do homework/seminar/whatever work in java, save
yourself the hassle and use Sun's java.

Oh, university work is not considered normal? I didn't think so, either :)
I think that most people do in fact know what java is, at least those
who know what a mouse is, and what Firefox is. I don't consider the
uneducated-and-don't-want-to-learn as normal users.

Huh? _educated_ people still can't seem to grasp the difference between
Java and Javascript. So, no, normal users don't generally have a clue what
Java is. "Normal" users don't have a clue what programming languages are,
because "normal" users don't program.

--
derek

  • Re: GNU Java vs. Sun Java: Whats the difference, what is better?
    ... Java and Javascript. ... "Normal" users don't have a clue what programming languages ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: GNU Java vs. Sun Java: Whats the difference, what is better?
    ... Java and Javascript. ... "Normal" users don't have a clue what programming languages are, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: objects (newbie)
    ... Programming languages such as Java and C++ are object-oriented ... that can be applied in recurring software ... Design Patterns - Elements of Object-Oriented Software ...
    (comp.lang.java.help)
  • Re: size_t problems
    ... In Java, an int is a 32 bit signed value. ... other programming languages get by just fine ... The way to minimize the pain of writing 100% portable code is to write ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Should I learn C before Java ?
    ... Should I jump right into Java, or is it better to learn ... You're right about JavaScript and Java being completely different ... whatever opinions you have on programming languages. ... discharging that responsibility. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)