Re: GNU Java vs. Sun Java: What's the difference, what is better?

Dotan Cohen wrote:

On 23/12/06, Martin Marcher <martin.marcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Am 22.12.2006 um 20:01 schrieb Dotan Cohen:

What are the differences between the GNU and Sun Javas? I know that
Sun invented Java and that it was just made open source. But what I
need to know are what are the differences from a user's perspective?

referencing your next sentence you are not a normal user (university
work) most users don't even know what java is. And if your university
expects you to do homework/seminar/whatever work in java, save
yourself the hassle and use Sun's java.

Oh, university work is not considered normal? I didn't think so, either :)
I think that most people do in fact know what java is, at least those
who know what a mouse is, and what Firefox is. I don't consider the
uneducated-and-don't-want-to-learn as normal users.

Huh? _educated_ people still can't seem to grasp the difference between
Java and Javascript. So, no, normal users don't generally have a clue what
Java is. "Normal" users don't have a clue what programming languages are,
because "normal" users don't program.

--
derek

  • Re: GNU Java vs. Sun Java: Whats the difference, what is better?
    ... Java and Javascript. ... "Normal" users don't have a clue what programming languages ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: GNU Java vs. Sun Java: Whats the difference, what is better?
    ... Java and Javascript. ... "Normal" users don't have a clue what programming languages are, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: objects (newbie)
    ... Programming languages such as Java and C++ are object-oriented ... that can be applied in recurring software ... Design Patterns - Elements of Object-Oriented Software ...
    (comp.lang.java.help)
  • Re: size_t problems
    ... In Java, an int is a 32 bit signed value. ... other programming languages get by just fine ... The way to minimize the pain of writing 100% portable code is to write ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: JVM based languages? (mildly OT)
    ... there are other programming languages that can run in a Java Virtual ... including the z/OS Java SDK (and also in application environments ... that support Java, such as CICS Transaction Server, IMS Transaction ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)