Re: Problems with new iPod and Edgy

On 12/26/06, Mark Loeser <mark@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ed Smits <ed.smits@xxxxxxxxx> said:
My daughter got a brand new 4GB iPod nano for Christmas and we can't
get it working with her new Edgy - the system sees the iPod but
doesn't mount it. When I plug in either of the other 2 nanos (a 2GB
and a 4 GB one) here they get mounted automatically, not her new one.
Watching the activity in Device Manager as we plug and unplug the
various iPods -

all show up under the USB EHCI Host Controller entry - SCSI Device -
iPod, however the new iPod is listed as "Volume (via_raid_member)"
whereas the 2 older ones are listed by their names as assigned to them
in iTunes in XP when the iPods were first initialised. The new iPod
has also been initialised via iTunes in the same way.

Any ideas as to why the names isn't being properly recognized and the
iPod being auto-mounted?

Cheers. Hope I get an answer soon - she returns home in a week and I
promised her that Ubuntu could handle it all, so far this is the only
sticky issue.

Actually got the same exact iPod yesterday, and saw the same exact
"via_raid_member" :) I don't automatically mount all of my stuff, so
I'm not sure about that part, but you can definitely mount it manually
by just specifying the filesystem as well, for example:

sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sda2 /media/ipod/

Whenever I did not specify vfat I got saw the nice "via_raid_member".

Hope that helps somewhat,

Thanks for your manual suggestion, that at least got it manually
mounted and useable, however I'm trying to set this laptop up so that
it is easy for her to use, and getting the iPod automounted would
certainly be how we'd like it to work.

Any other ideas? I'm assuming a lot of new iPods were under the tree,
sounds like the problem is more pervasive than just in our case,
surely someone has figured out how to get it done.

Cheers

ED

  • Re: Mounting an iPod as an external HDD
    ... (i don't know enough to say if compiling the drivers into ... > How do I mount a USB external drive? ... > I don't know how to mount a USB device. ... I was wondering how I would mount the iPod on my FreeBSD ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: access ipod files?
    ... normal fedora would have device automatically mount when connected - ... That's where Amarok, gtkpod or other programs come in. ... the iPod again...Amarok should find it just fine. ... (probably gstreamer and gstreamer-tools are already installed) ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Fixing an iPod mount point - udev or hal?
    ... I don't want automount, I just want to fix the mount point for a (filesystem ... bring her iPod _and_ the interface cable at the same time ... ... Forcing sync on FAT filesystems is *really* slow. ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: Mounting an iPod
    ... Assistance welcome, James. ... I finally gave up trying to mount the iPod as ... > otherwise you're going to have to reformat your iPod for Windows and ...
    (freebsd-questions)