Intro and a few questions

Hello
I am quite new at Linux, very much a Nuby, so you all please bare with
me as I've only been up for about a day now. I have a couple of
questions if someone would be ever so kind to assist me.

1. I am currently running Ubuntu with Orca. I am trying to find out if
anyone knows in Evolution what the keyboard shortcut is in order to
allow me to simply use my arrow keys to move freely through the content
of my e-mails. A friend told me he or she thought it was F9, however I
treid that, with no luck. Actually, it appears that F9 is the shortcut
to send and receive all mail. Yes, I did think to try alt, or shift, or
control, with no luck. The only way so far I've found to get around
this, which isn't really a big deal, as much as it's kind of annoying,
is to use my review commands, go down to the actual body of the message,
then do a left mouse button click. Then Orca seems to move focus and I
then can up and down arrow just fine. Apparently though, according to
this friend, that isn't really necessary.

2. My next question is, has anyone had any experience with abcde? If
so, basicly the deal is, that I looked in /etc/abcde.conf but I cannot
find the part of the file that I need to either modify or uncomment in
order to allow the program to encode into mp3. I do have the
gstreamer0.10-plugin-bad and the gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly codecs. So
I know that I should, at the very least have a decoder, if not an
encoder, although, yeah, I know, a decoder isn't really going to help in
this case since I'm trying to encode from CD. I tried using Audio
Juicer, which may I add, I love, except that I'm only in the format box
under preferences, seeing flack, lossless, or some other form, can't
recall exactly, but I assure you that it isn't mp3, nor is it vorbis.
It's actually ripping by default in vorbis, which I don't have a problem
with per say, but some times it is nice to have a regular mp3 file.

3. My last question is, is there any program that will allow me to use
my computer as an alarm clock. Yes, I do know I could set up a kron
job, but I don't quite feel ready yet to tackle kron. I've been told
for beginners, it's somewhat complicated to start with.

Sorry for all the questions, but let's start with these, and then we'll
go from there.

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

  • Re: which lossless codec for music?
    ... This means if you do a track-by-track rip of an audio CD that doesn't have gaps between tracks, you'll get playback glitches at the track boundaries if you use MP3. ... I think there's an ID3 extension to deal with this, but there are many MP3 tools that don't support it, whereas in Vorbis it's part of the spec and universally supported. ... I can't hear the difference between Vorbis and MP3 at high bitrates, but when I deliberately choose a very low bitrate to hear the artifacts, I notice that Vorbis artifacts don't sound nearly as unpleasant as MP3 artifacts. ...
    (comp.compression)
  • Re: CD ripping
    ... and LAME to encode them to MP3 (dealt with by ... Amongst it's options, Audiograbber allows you to ... played contiguously without artefact by even the best MP3 players. ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.advocacy)
  • Re: Mal wieder ein bisschen Esoterik ;-)
    ... Vorbis" haben wollen? ... Die meisten Leute wollen einfach nicht mit verschiedenen ... MP3 ist lediglich nicht der Weisheit letzter Schluss - genau ... Gustav, "Rettet die Wale" ...
    (de.rec.musik.hifi)
  • Re: Intro and a few questions
    ... order to allow the program to encode into mp3. ... recall exactly, but I assure you that it isn't mp3, nor is it vorbis. ... abcde will encode to mp3 using the -o option ... The variable OUTPUTTYPE is the default output type ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: CD2MP3?
    ... Andrew Hill wrote: ... but the link I found on Bent Bracke's site doesn't appear to ... add wav -> mp3, and encode as ogg or flac as well. ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.apps)