Re: Windows refugee questions...

David B Teague wrote:
I am a Windows refugee. I used and managed Unix 5.x and Linux in the

Welcome!

[...]

3) What do I tell the Ubuntu installation about my IP number? I should
be able to query Windows about the IP number it is using. I would guess
I can use that. Can someone tell me how to do this? The bootable CD
finds the internet automatically.

The bootable CD uses DHCP to get the IP information. When installed
this is likely to be the default method also.

Do you connect to the internet via an ADSL modem/router with your PC
connected to the router with an ethernet patch cable?
This is the easiest method, and it sounds a bit like you may be using
this common method.

Using DHCP the internet device (router, say) allocates an IP number to
your PC.

If you wish you can choose a particular IP number for the PC (I do
this usually, and often after the install with DHCP).

Your ISP will allocate an IP number to your connection. Usually this
may change from time to time, your adsl modem router will take care of
this. Some ISP accounts allow you to keep a fixed IP address from your
ISP, these are generally a bit more expensive and more common for
business use.

The ip adresses of the PCs allocated from your router are likely to
use addresses similar to
192.168.1.x

This is not related to the IP address your ISP connects with to your
modem router, which is a normal full internet IP address.

hth
--
ac

  • Re: Firewall for Static IP Addresses
    ... > internet line from our ISP - which they have nat'ed to 3 servers on ... > our internal network. ... > work if "our" side of the ISP's router was on a different network ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: CEICW Network Error
    ... I think Optimum (seen other posts about this ISP) does some strange things. ... While we can't possibly know the ins and outs of every ISP and router on ... IP address in a subnet that is different from the Internal LAN. ... Users brought in another tech and messed up internet ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: How to change TTL of Linux
    ... A Windows machine will use an initial TTL of 128. ... RFC0791 (Internet Protocol) did not specify any value for this field. ... address from the ISP. ... presence of multiple machines behind a router. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Remote destkop
    ... Lets not forget the original poster did *NOT* say if he was using a broadband ISP or a dialup ISP. ... router would automatically connect again. ... router would automatically register its new internet ... > reconnect after each disconnect, then automatically register its new IP ...
  • Re: Can I use this card?
    ... I have a commercial service with my ISP they offer this fortunatley, ... yes my router is the ISP If you would like to see this you can go here. ... > It it is a cable modem, you likely have a 10 Mbps ... >> internet connection to help the transfer of the websites loading times. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)