Re: java 2RE

I use the self extracting binary... I don't like the idea of installing
RPMs on a DEB environment.

I did have to tweak the "alternatives" settings for that to be properly
integrated into ubuntu, but you can do it simply by modifying what the
/usr/bin/java and other related binaries link to (they point to
/etc/alternatives/XXX which you need to link to what you want).

I've just done this to get Java 1.6 to run... quite nicely... on my
Ubuntu laptop.

Gilles.

norman a écrit :
Could some kind person please jog my memory. I have a vague recollection
that, before java 2RE can be used, it is necessary to make a selection
using a terminal. My problem is that I cannot remember what needs to be
entered.

sudo update-alternatives --config java

Thanks so far, now, my next question. There are 2 possible downloads
from the Java website one described as self extracting and the other as
RPM. I think I should use the RPM version as this seems to put the
various files where needed in the system whereas the self extracting
seems not to do this. I would be most grateful for your expert opinion
please.

Norman

  • Re: RPM files
    ... My question is can the same software we use in ubuntu to download which, ... can I download and install a RPM file into ubuntu with synaptic app. ... RPM is the RedHat Package Management system. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: GCC Installation Problems
    ... I downloaded the rpm of the latest gcc but come to ... find out nUbuntu doesn't have rpm either. ... Since RPM is Redhat package manager and Ubuntu is based on Debian, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: loading/compiling previous versions of packages...
    ... I run Ubuntu, the most flexible Linux operating system available. ... Yet, RedHat rpm would have caught the dependency, and warned ... I will be emailing the person maintaining the Hamachi ... Is there a simple way to tell Synaptic or RPM or yum or _SOMETHING_ ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Installation Doubts by Beginner
    ... Java, i.e. a JRE is already installed and more ... You should never log in or work as root on a regular basis. ... I'm trying to install Java in my computer, but when I try to run "rpm" ... Desktop jre-6u20-linux-i586.rpm Pictures Ubuntu One ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Whats all the hype over Ubuntu?
    ... on several occasions I've heard Ubuntu fans cite the fact it doesn't use ... they don't like the "dependency hell" of rpm. ... Well I've never extensively used any deb based distro but then I've been pretty stuck with RH and friends for about that last 10 years since starting out with RH 5.1 rough cuts on an Amiga of all things:) But I must admit, I never really understood that viewpoint as yum has basically eliminated "dependency hell" and wondered what was magically different about deb. ... With ubuntu, you enable the pre-configured extra repositories, pick what you want and you are ready to run it. ...
    (Fedora)