Re: Windows refugee questions...

David B Teague wrote:
ac wrote:
David B Teague wrote:

<SNIP>
Isn't Verizon a web mail, online email account? This suggests that you
can access your email from any machine anywhere on the internet, using
a web browser (such as firefox etc etc) - is this true?

If so then it is likely that the process for email will be via your
browser of choice and its facilities. If say firefox works for you in
windows, it will do the same in linux for example. Your mail at
verizon will remain on their machines and will not be affected by your
machine OS.

Verizon provides a "web mail" interface that is the incredibly poor. It
makes Unix/Linux command line "mail" program look good. I use it ONLY
when I am out of town for long enough to need to delete some messages
before I return.

Understood. this is your verizon webmail option.

I can also use Thunderbird or Outlook Express etc to
fetch mail to my local machine. (Is this the POP protocol?)

Yes this is pop3 (post office protocol). POP3 is a method of you not
being on line continuously but when you are online, you prompt the pop
mailbox to send your mail to you when you want it.

That isn't
an option from a machine booted from a read-only CD.

ok. (I think it actually can be, but it would take a fair amount of
setting up!)

I was fretting because in the distant past, when network access was via
NIC, setup always wanted an IP number.

The NIC will be automatically recognised by ubuntu (most distros in
fact nowadays!) and during both live CD use and the default install
process, DHCP will be used without any input from you at all. Just
have the machine and network normally connected during install etc. If
in the unusual case of dhcp not working I guess more manual
configuration would be needed. So the NIC will be configured
automatically with a local IP number via dhcp. BTW it is usual mostly
for the router device to want to be 192.168.1.1 and the PC to be
allocated another IP such as 192.168.1.5 say. This is not a firm
standard but sort of a likely convention.

Ah Sorry. I checked again; you are of course right about the IP numbers..
<SNIP>

So I can expect it to "just work".
yes, should do ok

<SNIP>

(see my comments above about web mail?) I wonder if I have fully
understood you here. Do you also use POP3 mail collection from a
provider also? Verizon?

I'm not sure what you are asking. Here is my setup:

All I have is POP (remove messages from the server as they are downloaded)

understood.

I have Verizon ADSL, and I receive email from their mail server.

(via pop)

I also
receive mail from another provider, Mountain Area Information Network,
MAIN.net. Thunderbird is set so that email is automatically downloaded
from each provider and Thunderbird will send through either provider.

It sounds like two pop accounts. ok.
It is usual that the adsl connection provider (verizon) actually
provides the transport for your outgoing mail (Outgoing server) (SMTP,
small mail transport protocol I think). This is because they have a
guarantee of your identity - you are connected hardwired. The other
mail provider is unlikely to accept your outgoing mail unless you have
an account with a password to verify yourself - easily possible but a
bit unusual (I have one of these myself for mobile travel pop use).

then I'll move email to the Linux side. I
will have more questions about moving email with Thunderbird at that time.

I mostly use only thunderbird (TB) for email. In my escape phase
towards linux I first used TB on windows (and later also on linux with
the linux TB settings to not delete the mail at the server - read mail
first on linux, then read and delete using the usual approach in windows).

This sounds like something I need to do. How do I set up Thunderbird so
it fetches messages but doesn't remove the messages from the server?

(for thunderbirds A and B)

for thunderbird (A)
[Tools>] Account settings>Server settings> UNcheck Leave mail on server
(removes mail)

for thunderbird (B)
[Tools>] Account settings>Server settings> check Leave mail on server

(make sure to use B before A!)

When I finally stopped using windows I had to copy the files (simple
copy) from windows to linux. I was shocked by the simplicity.
Directories had to chosen of course and a couple of files needed
special care for the directory, but it was simple.

Aren't there are some details that are glossed over here? I have done
this under Windows when I replaced a hard disk. Isn't there is
something you have to do in Thunderbird to actually _see_ the new
folder? What is it? I recall stuff like having to create a folder with
the same name in the new Thunderbird installation as it had in the old
installation, then overwrite the new file with the old file. I recall
having to delete the index file. Otherwise I can't see the folder in
Thunderbird.

I think for either windows or linux I simply had a TB install (new,
empty TBird) then I closed TB. I copied the files into their places,
(profile Default 123abc etc) and started TB again.

there will be useful confirmation via google anyway.

hth
--
ac

  • Re: Windows refugee questions...
    ... Isn't Verizon a web mail, ... windows, it will do the same in linux for example. ... Thunderbird is set so that email is automatically downloaded ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: UKTV Internet Explorer Official addon
    ... This is that I continue to mainly use!Pluto on RO and am happy with it. ... My feeling at present is that Thunderbird may well be something I could ... For me the most obvious one is Messenger Pro. ... should be to get Messenger Pro for Linux and have a play with it. ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: A rookies query: Want to about Debian and the related
    ... Have all tried Thunderbird? ... Linux app and as already mentioned before, I dislike the Mozilla policy. ... but having the freedom to chose mbox or maldir is the freedom to chose. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: OT: Old Mozilla to new Thunderbird, how to get emails over?
    ... Mozilla browser/email, new one Thunderbird. ... You avoid that shit by using Linux and 'pine' as email program. ... driver not available, modem doesn't work, soundcards, etc. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: OT: Old Mozilla to new Thunderbird, how to get emails over?
    ... It has some dumbed-down importer but that neither shows Mozilla ... Mozilla on old computer to new Thunderbird on new computer. ... You avoid that shit by using Linux and 'pine' as email program. ... driver not available, modem doesn't work, soundcards, etc. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)