Re: Possible to remove from users list Was: The "" dilemma

On Thu 2007-01-04 22:29:26 -0500, Jeffrey F. Bloss wrote:
David Hart wrote:

On Thu 2007-01-04 10:42:47 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
David Hart wrote:

Take a look at the (forged) headers of the messages and you'll
see that they don't go through Ubunutu servers so there's nothing
(directly) that the list admins can do about it.

of course there is - just remove him from the list. I don't think
the headers are forged, it's just a very bad autoresponder.

Well of course they're autoresponder messages. Bounce messages _are_
autoreponder messages but, judging from the messages that I received,
they are _forged_ bounce messages.

There's nothing here that indicates any forging IMHO, in fact the
preceding headers (you should see something similar) and a lack of any
MX record for suggest they're simply outsourcing mail...

What are you talking about? Here's the mx for

# david@mutt:~$ dig +short mx
# 10

[]) # by (Postfix) with ESMTP
id DBD906E89 # for <ubuntu@xxxxxxxxx>; Thu, 4 Jan 2007
07:29:08 +0000 (GMT)

You snipped out the bit where I explained that the above header was
generated by _my_ MTA. It's under _my_ control, humming away under _my_
desk here where I type. I _know_ that header isn't forged.

The mx for isn't,
it's The IP address of isn't it's points to (and probably a lot
of other domains do too).

What's the above got to do with the price of fish?

I _know_ that the IP address that the message came from is correct
because it was recorded by _my_ server.

IP addresses don't really mean a thing these days. ;)

They _do_ when your _own_ machine is reporting an IP based on a TCP

David Hart <ubuntu@xxxxxxxxx>

ubuntu-users mailing list
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: