Re: dpkg and apt-get cannot work

On 1/9/07, Yixuan Wang <wangyixuan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have got on well with Ubuntu 6.10 until I found this error:
I'm using ubuntu server 6.10, after a fresh new install, I ran
"apt-get upgrade" and it replaced a few packages successfully, but
right after that, I am not able to use apt-get again any more.
when I am trying to install gcc or whatever, it always saids
"dpkg-deb: subprocess <decompress> killed by signal (Segmentation
fault)". I can figure out that the download is OK, and the problem
lies in the step of "dpkg-deb --control".

Does anyone have some ideas on this? thanks in advance!

You might try doing the same with "aptitude" which is very similar to
apt-get but it may not make a difference if the problem is wtith
dpkg-deb. You could also try Synaptic, and do a Reload first to see if
that fixes things.

HTH

--
Colin Brace
Amsterdam

  • Re: Botched python upgrade mangled my system--- HELP
    ... apt-get autoclean ... Have you completed the step to install all of the packages that were ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: how to upgrade only from stable.
    ... i have run the apt-get update but i haven't run apt-get upgrade or ... actually i was assuming that if there is a command to install update ... and i then i did apt-get update ... when we run the command apt-get upgrade or ...
    (Debian-User)
  • apt-get apting uc?
    ... After syncing via an apt-get update and running an apt-get upgrade, ... seeing some unfamiliar messages when I try to install new packages: ... The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required: ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: new kernel problem when doig upgrade
    ... i run debian etch on a pentium 3 desktop machine, i did a fresh install a couple weeks ago and was ... doing 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade' but when it wants to install the new kernel it is ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • ulb-gnome question
    ... I'm trying to install gnome 2.4 in SuSe 9.0. ... apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, and ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)