Re: Vote for new Ubuntu Feature---Let's try it again

Robert Aldridge wrote:

From: Wulfy <wulfmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

OK. Let's work this through. If I sudo <command> (and am
authorised to so that command) my privileges are upped to root (or
whatever is given to me in the sudoers file). Does that only work
for that one command? Do I have to use sudo for every command and
put my password in each time?

Try doing 'sudo su' in a terminal (console/Konsole, whatever) when
you want to do several commands as root. This promotes you to root
until you enter the command 'exit' which drops you back to your user
account.

The right way to do this is 'sudo -i'. This starts your interactive
shell and resets the environment to root's, unlike 'sudo su' or even
'su -'.

To be honest, I've never seen anyone use 'sudo su' before. Sems to work
just like 'su', but to my way of thinking this is like saying "give me
permission to become as root so I can run a command that makes me
root". And if you look in auth.log Id' wager you'll see just that.
"Root became root" or something to the effect. The programmer side of
me, if it were in knee jerk mode, would label anything that happens
after that as "undefined behavior". ;)

--
_?_ Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
(o o) Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

  • Re: [kde] su identification
    ... assumes that you wish to invoke the root account and will demand Root ... A user may ONLY sudo as allowed in the /etc/sudoers ... allowing a command with any parameters ... This config allows my normal user to do whatever he'd normally be able to ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: Clams.....
    ... either by su> password> Kate, ... running in root. ... have you set up sudo? ... the command sudo gedit /etc/filename would ask for the user ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: user(s) question
    ... has su privileges. ... only sudo works. ... member of the admin group and can use sudo to gain root privilege. ... check if you can use sudo from that new account. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: any way to track commands of a user logged in through ssh
    ... applies _to that command only_. ... the command they want to run with 'sudo', ... I use/run a Shell command that requires 'root' privileges...Especially ... So what do you think about creating a separate 'group' for certain ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: Should openSUSE review its Security Policies?
    ... We are defining 'command' differently. ... When discussing root permissions, I define commands at the OS level. ... sudo lets me run a complete binary application as a different user. ...
    (SuSE)