Re: Vote for new Ubuntu Feature

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:32:30 -0500
alex <aradsky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Addressing the problem of editing and then saving changes to an
unsavable menu.list, change its permissions before attempting to do the
save, thusly

sudo chmod go+rw /boot/grub/menu.list
(If asked for a password, enter your user password).

This requires reversing your change afterwards, and therefore is actually
*two* commands.

Much easier, an less prone to error, to just type
gksudo "gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst"

( Also not that the file is "menu.lst" not " menu.list" ( a typo, I
guess , but a common one that produces a " No such file or directory" error
)

  • Re: Vote for new Ubuntu Feature---Lets try it again
    ... alex wrote: ... opening vital files that should retain their restricted permissions. ... I was working an editor as root at the time I ... time while running UBUNTU with testing in between. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: New member added, but has now My Site link
    ... Where sharepoint is you moss url, ssp - Shared Services Administration ... "Guzun, Alex" wrote in message ... Limited Access - Can access shared resources in the web in order to access an item inside the web, e.g. can read the web theme files when using a list with fine-grained permissions. ...
  • Re: Cant access USB hard drive on network
    ... Both user accounts are called Alex, no passwords and the permissions on the XP computer is set to everyone. ... I have a peer to peer network with a desktop computer running as a "server" running windows XP pro. ... Make sure that the user account with which you're logging into the Win7 computer exists on the WinXP computer and has permissions to the share. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Exchange Manager - Forwarding mail with unresolved recipients
    ... and the permissions are set for everyone involved as ... Publishing Editor and one user as Owner ... > Alex H wrote: ... >> I am trying to redirect unresolved emails to a public folder on our ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: its giving the different address !!!!!!!!!!
    ... > thnx a tonne alex but can you explain me why on reversing the order of ... If the compiler uses a descending-address stack to store automatic variables ... for x (the decision is often influenced by the order of declaration), ...
    (comp.lang.c)