Upgrade to Edgy failing on X11R6 error

Ubuntu Users,

For various reasons, I wanted to upgrade from Dapper to Edgy. According
to this official site:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdgyUpgrades

... Edgy Eft is the "current stable version". So I felt confident that
this should be a safe move.

I used this method to do the upgrade:

gksu "update-manager -c"

Despite my fibre-optic connection, it was going to take all night to
download, so I left it until this morning.

When I woke up, I found it had encountered an error:

dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/x11-common_1%3a7.1.1ubuntu6.2_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/bin', which is also in package kinput2-wnn
/var/cache/apt/archives/x11-common_1%3a7.1.1ubuntu6.2_i386.deb

This page which has a list of common problems:
http://www.debianadmin.com/ubuntu-edgy-upgrade-common-problems-with-solutions.html

... It did not list my situation exactly. Two people with similar
problems had either Opera or ATI graphics cards. I don't have opera, and
my graphics card is Nvidia.

So then I tried manually clearing out the /usr/X11R6/bin directory, and
running the update again. Same error. I tried deleting the offending
directory altogether. Same error.

I tried running the update manager again, and this time it said:

"It is impossible to install or remove any software. Please use the
package manager "Synaptic" or run "sudo apt-get install -f" in a
terminal to fix this issue at first."

So I ran that command:

sudo apt-get install -f

And it returns the same error.

Another web site recommended running the following:

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

But that got me this error:

/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: xserver-xorg is broken or not fully installed

So, now the current status is that not only do I not have Edgy
installed. I can't upgrade or install anything with apt-get or Synaptic
because they always halt on an error that I have to fix my broken
packages. But neither Synaptic or apt-get will permit me to fix them
because of complaints about Xorg related packages.

How do I get out of this loop, and either get my system back to being
stable, or succeed in upgrading to Edgy?

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

  • Re: problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04
    ... update-manager-core) to do your upgrade please do so next time instead ... of trying to upgrade with only apt. ... # apt-get dist-upgrade ... Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Harddisk Errors in Etch using Kernel 2.6.17 but not Kernel 2.6.8
    ... not a server -my server runs a Slackware 10, and is running very fine, ... so I did a manual apt-get install for each of them.. ... upgrade showed that the whole system is up-to-date. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: ssh fails - SOLVED (was: Re: git pull fails with OpenSSL version mismatch error)
    ... My first try was apt-get install ssh. ... And if a new version dependency appears such as ... will upgrade independently. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Gnome 2.10 going in to etch today
    ... > Would the almighty Debian Gods decide which fraking package manager 'we' are ... I have seem countless times on this list that apt-get is ... I 'upgrade' and manually install the hold-backs. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Suse migration to gentoo
    ... > time in the future I will be forced to upgrade to 9.x or do a full ... Gentoo uses "portage", a twist on the BSD Ports system. ... You can install Gentoo from the 2-CD set they provide; ... > not aware of which is better then apt-get and YOU? ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)