Re: java JRE upgrade 10 does not work

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 20:21:44 -0400
Derek Broughton <news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Peter Garrett wrote:
[snips]

after the java install ( not forgetting update-alternatives --config java
)

Not necessary - it's part of the install.

Really ? I didn't see it, and when I checked with update-alternatives
--config java I had to change the number...

- but I guess the method you used is just as easy
with auto-replace in your editor of choice. Personally I only wanted the
runtime and plugin so I installed sun-java6-bin and sun-java6-plugin

That's not a complete runtime - you need sun-java?-jre. The bin package is
just the native code. Damn, I forgot the plugin :-)

Umm...

$ apt-cache depends sun-java6-bin
sun-java6-bin
Depends: sun-java6-jre
[snip]

$ dpkg -l sun-java6-jre | grep ii
ii sun-java6-jre 6-00-2 Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6
(architecture independent files)

Caveat: this is safe enough with java, but not advisable for other
packages that might do something unpleasant, like try to change your libc6
version etc.

Yeah, I should probably have mentioned that... libc6 changes are annoying
enough _within_ a release (I've taken to removing libc6-i686 before any
upgrade that changes libc6, then reinstalling it - otherwise I routinely
find myself unable to run anything).

Right, libc6 needs careful handling - although I haven't had trouble
with it in upgrades here :)

Peter