Disable Route Optimization in Linux

Greetings,

I'm working toward building up a couple of test fixtures that require me
to generate multiple channels of Ethernet traffic. I have some Perl
code that will allow me to send and receive traffic using specified
local and peer ports. I seem to have only one problem that is
preventing me from getting started. Linux is optimizing all my traffic
to go through the default port.

To be more specific, let's assume I have a 8 port switch to be tested.
Assume I have two Linux boxes with a quad NIC card in each. Assume the
8 ports from the two quad NIC cards all get plugged into the switch. To
test each switch port I need to be able to generate traffic from all 8
ports of the two quad NIC cards. Linux optimizes my routes and sends
all traffic through the default eth port, even when I specify another port.

Is there any way to turn off the router in Linux or at least override it
with my desired routes? I have tried many combinations of "route add",
"route del", "ip route add x.x.x.x via y.y.y.y. So far I am striking
out. Any help would be appreciated.

I am using Ubuntu 6.10 desktop on an Intel architecture box.

Thank you,
Bruce

  • Re: Disable Route Optimization in Linux
    ... I'm working toward building up a couple of test fixtures that require me ... let's assume I have a 8 port switch to be tested. ... Assume I have two Linux boxes with a quad NIC card in each. ... Linux optimizes my routes and sends ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: uCLinux on Samsung S3C4510B (ARM7TDMI) based wireless router
    ... serial port or printer port, ... linux or further. ... > router, access point and print server, all at the same time, preferably ... > and openap-ng) options as well as uCLinux. ...
    (comp.os.linux.embedded)
  • Re: Unix / Linux Program Port to OS/2 with GCC and LIBC: HowTo Support / Use of Unix Function "Symb
    ... The discussion of the MPlayer port comes up with the above subject. ... OS/2 port on Hobbes: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-search?key=coreutils_5.93 ... The Linux symbolic link function is introduced ...
    (comp.os.os2.multimedia)
  • Re: Disable Route Optimization in Linux
    ... I'm working toward building up a couple of test fixtures that require me ... let's assume I have a 8 port switch to be tested. ... Assume I have two Linux boxes with a quad NIC card in each. ... Linux optimizes my routes and sends ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: TOP Network Interface Port of a Sun Ultra 30
    ... What I had was a PCI card in my Linux ... this device connects to an Ethernet port. ... on the Sun that makes it not as possible to support the DEVICES I have on ... significant speed difference if I were to connect this to a network card ...
    (comp.sys.sun.hardware)