ssh session freezes in dapper

Hi,

When I connect to remote machines from my local dapper workstation,
after sometime my SSH session hangs without any apparent reason.

I have literally searched internet for hours for a solution and people
seem to have following reasons for this:

- Poor DNS
- Packet fragmentation and firewall problem, and bulk text freezes the session
- Inactivity timeout.

Although I won't call my DNS to be solid, but when I connect to the
same machines using putty from Windows(which uses zonealarm firewall),
ssh sessions work fine and doesn't hang as they hang in Linux.

Many people had ssh session hangs, when the command entered in remote
session transferred large amount of text. I can assure, you guys that,
its not the case here. Even doing, small chunks transfer session
freezes.

And of course, its not inactivity timeout, it happens, when i would be
in middle of entering some command.

Also, interesting fact is, many of my collegues within same intranet
complained about their putty throwing "garbled network data", but
since I had zonealarm on, I didn't face any problems in
Windows.(zonealarm seems to be ordering bytes or something like that
in Windows and for me, I never get session hangs in Windows when using
putty)

I am literally frustrated here and would love any solution/points.(I
hate booting into Windows, for working on remote machines)

Also I am running firestarter on my machine. I also tried setting up
MTU = 576 using ifconfig eth0 mtu 576, but doesn't seem to have any
impact.

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr -----------------
inet addr:10.0.0.187 Bcast:10.10.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::215:f2ff:fe91:dc77/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:21881243 (20.8 MiB) TX bytes:2177529 (2.0 MiB)
Interrupt:217 Base address:0x2000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:2434670 (2.3 MiB) TX bytes:2434670 (2.3 MiB)

Linux xaos 2.6.15-27-386 #1 PREEMPT Fri Dec 8 17:51:56 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

--
gnufied