Re: DSL

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 14:33 -0800, Dennis Castanos wrote:
Matthew, It mush be something. It's happens quite often. It always
connects under XP. I can live with using sudo ifdown eth0, sudo ifup eth0.
thanks again Dennis

It might be DNS. I've found a few DSL routers for which Ubuntu (and
other Linux Distros) have trouble using the modem's DNS passthrough (the
modem masquerading as a DNS server).

When the problem is happening, try pinging 64.233.167.99 (a google ip).
If you get replies your connecting is still working but DNS resolution
is failing. If this is the case, you can either install bind9 on the
local machine and set your primary DNS server to 127.0.0.1 or you can
use the freely available servers listed at opendns.org (although they
falsify DNS results in some cases). In any case, it will be useful to
determine if the problem is the connection dropping or simply DNS
resolution failing.

Brad

  • Re: Need network advice
    ... I am running Ubuntu 9.10 for my DNS, web page, and email server, as well ... It is running on the 10.0.0.x network. ... My DNS setup is working fine for this. ... to the development system via TFTP, and see the internal web page if I ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Need network advice
    ... I am running Ubuntu 9.10 for my DNS, web page, and email server, as well ... My DNS setup is working fine for this. ... the firewall enabled, the 10.0.0. ... to the development system via TFTP, and see the internal web page if I ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Need network advice
    ... I am running Ubuntu 9.10 for my DNS, web page, and email server, as well ... My DNS setup is working fine for this. ... the firewall enabled, the 10.0.0. ... to the development system via TFTP, and see the internal web page if I ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • RE: name server on esx server and ms dns slow recursion
    ... name server on esx server and ms dns slow recursion ... Due to the DNS poison cache thing, we need to update our 4 dns ... refresh to Ubuntu and save the $$. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Odd DNS problem
    ... Not a big deal until I wanted to download the latest VMWare ... install file, and I can't get to anything at VMWare, server not found. ... DHCP and DNS, and for the most part I can get to most of the sites I ... connection from Ubuntu but not from Ubuntu itself. ...
    (Ubuntu)