Re: desktop effects: XGL or AIGLX? compiz or beryl?...

On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 23:09 +0100, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
On 2/17/07, Michael Gustafson <michaelrpg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Are you using the non-free binary drivers from ATI? I couldn't get them to
work with AIGLX, and I read online that they don't work. I assumed this was
for all ATI cards.

Maybe this can help:

http://felipe-alfaro.org/blog/2006/09/06/ubuntu-edgy-ati-fglrx-dri-3d-acceleration-and-xorg-composite-extension/

It helps in that it confirms Michael's suspicions. FGLRX drivers simply
don't support Composite and won't work with AIGLX. For the time being,
Xgl is the only option for beryl/compiz on recent ATI cards.

If the opensource radeon drivers support your card, you're in luck (as I
am), because they will work just fine with AIGLX and Composite. Indeed,
my 5 year old laptop performs quite well with beryl's fancy effects on
its 16MB radeon 7500 mobility.

The beryl website says "Please note: ATI Cards : Depending on your card you
may find that you can use the ati/radeon driver with AIGLX. If you
experience problems then you may need to use Xgl with the fglrx Driver.".

I guess it's just some cards that don't work. I have a x800