Re: Firefox handling .kml and other file types

Steven Heimann wrote:
I am having some trouble getting Firefox on Edgy to handle google-earth
.kml files correctly. When pointed to a .kml file firefox just displays the text of the
file without asking me if I want to save the file and/or use another application to
open the file. I would like to configure it to use googleearth to open the file.

Firefox tells file types apart by its Content-Type - and AFAIK solely
by that. If the server sends the .kml file as type text/plain it's
handled as text, that means displayed by the browser.
So the server should send it out with some more specific MIME type,
see for which are

Or it should at least request external handling.

ubuntu-users mailing list
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: