Re: Firefox handling .kml and other file types

Steven Heimann wrote:
I am having some trouble getting Firefox 2.0.0.1 on Edgy to handle google-earth
.kml files correctly. When pointed to a .kml file firefox just displays the text of the
file without asking me if I want to save the file and/or use another application to
open the file. I would like to configure it to use googleearth to open the file.

Firefox tells file types apart by its Content-Type - and AFAIK solely
by that. If the server sends the .kml file as type text/plain it's
handled as text, that means displayed by the browser.
So the server should send it out with some more specific MIME type,
see http://earth.google.com/kml/kml_tut.html#kml_server for which are
appropriate.

Or it should at least request external handling.

Rolf