Re: uname -m and uname -p

Looking at uname.c (which is part of the GNU coreutils) where it handles the
-p, here is some code:

-----
char const *element = unknown;
#if HAVE_SYSINFO && defined SI_ARCHITECTURE
{
static char processor[257];
if (0 <= sysinfo (SI_ARCHITECTURE, processor, sizeof processor))
element = processor;
}
#endif
------

The problem is that HAVE_SYSINFO and SI_ARCHITECTURE are never defined
anywhere, at least not in my standard Edgy kernel. Doing a google search,
this looks like it has been broken for some time. There have been many
patches proposed, but none have actually been applied. Gentoo seems to have
their own patch for it though.

nick

On 2/26/07, Benjamin E. Zeller <zeller@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Monday 26 February 2007 14:28, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > when i do the below command, I get the below information
> >
> > $ uname -m
> > x86_64
> > $ uname -p
> > unknown
> > $
> >
> > whats the difference between the two command and i have referred to
man
> > uname which says
> >
> > -m, --machine
> > print the machine hardware name
> >
> > -p, --processor
> > print the processor type or "unknown"
>
> -p should be the actual model of processor, but it doesn't seem to work
> on my machine either.

Doesn't work here either. Tried it on Debian-Box, didn't work, SuSE-Box
gives "i686"

--
Benjamin Zeller
Ing.-Büro Hohmann

Tel.: +49 (0)8171 347 88 12
Mobil: +49 (0)160 99 11 55 23
Fax: +49 (0)8171 910 778
mailto: zeller@xxxxxxxxxx

www.ibh-wor.de

  • Re: Need a HELP Lead .. For: xorg 6.8.2 - wont start
    ... Device unknown ... STATUS 0x2230 COMMAND 0x0006 ... VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI Bridge ... # the way multiple screens are organised. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: HDD reads slower and slower...
    ... I wouldnt have expected that one to reset on power off. ... just the much more common problem of reallocated sectors. ... >>> When the command that caused the error occurred, ... >>> unknown ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Request for testing: ata(4) MFC
    ... Intel MatrixRAID? ... unknown: error issuing ATA_IDENTIFY command ... Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • TIP #181: Add a [namespace unknown] Command
    ... which command names are resolved. ... in the current namespace, and then the global namespace, before finally ... using the global *::unknown* proc to deal with unknown commands. ... The default unknown handler for each namespace will look for the ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: Any suggestions?
    ... this specifier is omitted, the default value is UNKNOWN." ... depending on the result of the inquire. ... c call function to return the number of arguments on the command line ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)