Any HPLIP gurus out there?

So, I've gone and installed HPLIP from sourceforge because the drivers
that come with Ubuntu don't give my my 1200x1200 support nor the various
head cleaning, et al utilities. I got everything working...right back
to the point where I can still only get 600x600. But I've been playing
around with the utilities and came across the "check" program.

This program goes over my environment and makes sure everything is fine.
Unfortunately it isn't. Aside from the optional parallel port driver
(which is worthless to me since I don't have a parallel port and my
printer does not use a parallel port anyway), I have these errors:

----------------------
| INSTALLED PRINTERS |
----------------------

DeskJet-D2300
-------------
Device URI: usb://HP/Deskjet%20D2300%20series?serial=TH67O1407P04N0
Installed in HPLIP? No
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/DeskJet-D2300.ppd
PPD Description: HP DeskJet D2300 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)
Printer status: printer DeskJet-D2300 is idle. enabled since Wed 28 Feb
2007 02:36:41 PM CST

error: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or
hpfax: CUPS backend to function in HPLIP.

PDF-Printer
-----------
Device URI: cups-pdf:/
Installed in HPLIP? No
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/PDF-Printer.ppd
PPD Description: Generic postscript color printer rev4
Printer status: printer PDF-Printer is idle. enabled since Fri 02 Mar
2007 12:53:18 PM CST

error: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or
hpfax: CUPS backend to function in HPLIP.

Now the PDF Printer not being HPLIP installed makes sense. But the
Deskjet? That doesn't make any sense. How do I get this working
properly?

--
Michael T. Richter <ttmrichter@xxxxxxxxx>
Disclaimer: Any people who think that opinions expressed from my private

  • Re: HP (Deskjet 6840) Network Printer problems
    ... > Considering Ubuntu comes with all the drivers one would need for most any ... then I noticed that HPLIP was already running under Breezy by default! ... the Gnome printer manager (via the ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: print/cups: since update to 1.7.1: error : Send-Document client-error-document-f
    ... With print/cups-filters installed, the whole cups ... Than installed cups and patched hplip. ... but it is with all usefull drivers for the ... Further analysis showed that foomatic-rip-hplip doesn't like PDF files ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: print/cups: since update to 1.7.1: error : Send-Document client-error-document-f
    ... With print/cups-filters installed, the whole cups ... Than installed cups and patched hplip. ... but it is with all usefull drivers for the ... Further analysis showed that foomatic-rip-hplip doesn't like PDF files ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: DJ500 dead after >= 16 years.
    ... buy a printer that speaks Post Script language and avoid any drivers. ... HPLIP http://hplip.sourceforge.net/ will unlock full functionality of all-in-one devices including scanning via hpaio scanner drivers included in HPLIP. ... If you decide that you do NOT need scanner stick with the printer that speak full PCL and which are listed in the foomatic-db or/and ghostscript. ... I have Office Jet R60 all-in-one speaks PCL and listed in foomatic -db. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: HP Deskjet 9800 with hpijs driver
    ... Since your printer is supported by hpijs the driver is included in apsfilter which you compile form ports ... It will help you edit your printcup file, it will convert files to ps and finally it will let you choose the drivers. ... HPLIP does not support parallel port printers! ... They support parallel port printers which are free standing printer servers via the web not by attaching them directly. ...
    (freebsd-questions)