Re: New to Ubuntu

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 08:09:45 +0100
Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 00:41 +0000, rmg@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
When I plug in a USB drive it recognises it, puts the icons up on
screen then after a couple of minutes gives a load of "Unsafe
removal" messages and hides all the icons. Then it redetects the
drive and does it all again - and again.

Does this happen with all USB drives or just one particular? Can you
try another one?

The only other one I've got is the camera and I tried that.

Also it appears to be writing to the USB like crazy -
which is probably why if I plug in the camera it crashes it after a
bit and I have to remove the battery to reset it. (The camera is
configured as USB storage with the 'feature' that it's read only).

I have no idea here, it always just worked for me

Rats.

I can't find wine in the package lists which is a pain because I
intend it to be Microsoft-free, the couple of things I need to run
under Windows (eg, a CAD system) *should* work under wine

Ubuntu has several software repositories, not all of which are enabled
by default. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/

Wine is in the universe repository, which you have to enable first,

I have universe enabled and searched for it in synaptic. Will have
another go.>
Actually I was told that you can use the Debian archives

The person that told you this had no clue. Don't mix Debian and Ubuntu
repositories, you would enter a world of pain, since Debian and Ubuntu
are not binary compatible. Or rather, their compatibility changes all
the time -- during development, Ubuntu syncs with Debian and there is
s short window of compatibility, but then they grow in different
directions.

That answer is not unexpected but the guy who told me could by no
stretch of the imagination be described as having no clue. I'd better
ask him.

Why would you assume that the package you need will never be in
Ubuntu? If all repositories are enabled there is hardly any difference
between Debian's and Ubuntu's number of packages. And Ubuntu certainly
views itself as being a general distro that is also useful for
software development, so why wouldn't it have a certain cross
compiler. If it is not there, you can request it by opening a ticket
in launchpad https://launchpad.net/

h8300hms gcc, binutils?

How do I get rid of those blasted splash screen when it boots and
shuts down, I don't mean after X has started but on the initial
boot. I don't want the nuts and bolts hidden from me a la Windows, I
want to know what it's doing.

Excuse my asking, but are you sure that Ubuntu is the distro for you?
Wouldn't you be happier running straight Debian?

I'd be comfortable with it given it's what I'm using now but Ubuntu does
set up some things automatically that I struggle with in Debian.>
It certainly is a personal preference, but why would you want to know
this through every boot? Isn't it enough to know that it works and
then forget about it? You can see what it is doing during boot by
checking the following:
* Rund "dmesg" in a terminal after boot
* Go to /etc/defaults and edit the file bootlogd to enable boot
logging. Then you will have a bootlog in /var/log after the
next boot

If you still want to disable the boot screen, you can do so in the
bootloader configuration:
* Press Alt+F2 to open the run dialog
* Enter "gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst"
* Remove the "quiet splash" option: note that you have to remove
it several times: in the configuration section further up (##
## Start Default Options ##) and in the kernel list at the end

You might still not like what you see since Ubuntu uses upstart as the
boot system, not sysvinit, and upstart's reporting is different
(worse?). See http://upstart.ubuntu.com/ for how to configure

What's the normal monthly update volume?

Depends. If a kernel security hole is found, it's immediately > 20 MB.
Security updates are not that frequent, you can check the security
mailing list archive:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-security-announce/

You did not say which version you are installing (6.06 or 6.10 I
assume) and which CD/DVD you downloaded, so it is hard to say if a
more up-to-date version is available. But 232 MB sounds about right
for the initial update after installing 6.06. Updated CDs are made
available regularly for 6.06, but not all the time.

I got a 6.10 live/install DVD from linuxemporium.

--
Dick Georgeson