Re: Can't Query External Serial Modem

From: "Tommy Trussell" <tommy.trussell@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Ubuntu user technical support,not for general discussions"
<ubuntu-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Can't Query External Serial Modem
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 20:02:15 -0500

I recommend going back to minicom (or HyperTerminal if you must) and
try several different serial settings. For most similar serial devices
I would expect 115200 - 8N1 to work. (That's 115200 bits per second, 8
bits, no parity, 1 stop bit. In minicom there's a shortcut option to
set the 8N1.)

First I would try downgrading the speed to 57600 bps, then maybe down
even to 19200 if that doesn't work. In between speed changes you can
try powering down the modem. You should normally see an OK when you
type AT <enter> -- but be sure to give it about a 3 second pause
before typing the next attempt. Since you're certain the lights are
blinking in response to what you're typing, it's possible the modem
firmware is set to not respond, but you should get a dialtone and
dialing sounds when you type ATDT11111 or something like that.

OH and of course some modems sense the state of the phone line, so
plug a telephone into the auxiliary port and make sure the connection
is good through the modem.

If none of that has the effect you expect I would next suspect that
the serial cable is wired for another type of device (something other
than a modem).

But diagnosing serial devices is somewhat of a "black art." Let me
know what you discover.

I should clarify - HyperTerminal doesn't cause the lights to respond,
wvdialconf does. And minicom sends the lights flashing maybe 1 time in
30/40.

  • Re: [SLE] Connecting a tremial program to an external rs323 port
    ... do I connect the terminal program to the physical port? ... by running a temp null modem cable to it and accessing it via the agetty... ... From the Linux box minicom is the terminal emulator of choice... ... still find commercial null modem cables at places like BestBuy with the ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: How to make phone call using modem in Linux
    ... provide phone, username, password (don't care about ... I have tried with minicom and looking around for some AT ... commands. ... I think this can be use to dial because it handle modem with AT ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: How to change time on built-in clock in Dell Latitude XPi laptop?
    ... NTP it makes sense to keep nudging the local clock to agree with NTP. ... been having strange problems with the internal modem. ... Later I discovered that if I start minicom, ... I uudecoded the second download, unzipped it, and looked at the ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Installing modem.
    ... Subject: Installing modem. ... TTYS?: Here is ttyS? ... > This command, executed as root from within the /dev directory, should ... "minicom" dosent exist on my system. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Serial help - minicom?
    ... >>I've got an Access Point that has a serial port. ... >>I suspect it's minicom that's causing me problems. ... > When I set up a null modem connection using minicom, ... insult, but with blessing, because to this you were ...
    (Debian-User)