Re: [Problem Found] Re: [Feisty] Today's updates (2.6.20-10) killed my nic

Mario Vukelic wrote:
On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 16:42 -0700, NoOp wrote:
Network-manager seems to be the cause of a lot of complaints on the
Ubuntu forums and lists, perhaps it should not be bundled in with the
ubuntu-desktop meta package, and instead be an optional install.

No way, including it in a usable state is one of the main goals of
Feisty: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/network-roaming

It seems that more & more stuff is being bundled into Feisty... what
ever happened to "roll your own"?

Nothing happened to it. It is called Debian, Slackware, Gentoo, LFS,
(etc.), as it always was. "Roll your own" never was even a goal for
Ubuntu

Ubuntu isn't LFS, but it doesn't have to include *everything* either.
However, I see why network-manager is included (but I use KDE).

Matt Flaschen

  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 46, Issue 190
    ... Similar Experience/Forget Hardy ... intended as a hard-drive install, as Klaus Knopper himself often said. ... possible to roll your own live CD based on Debian or Ubuntu. ... I've seen those on a lot of lists. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 39, Issue 299
    ... windows XP box but it refused to print. ... I read the lists. ... the problem is the closed source nature of Skype. ... Under ubuntu 7.04 I used emacs v21. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Troubles after update to kernel 3.0.0.18
    ... Troubles after update to kernel 3.0.0.18 ... but thought I'd ask - Certificate in Thunderbird ... Re: Ubuntu list bounces? ... of sending messages to the lists, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 19, Issue 331
    ... Re: Automatix? ... Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box? ... Get the .config for the current working Debian kernel, ... sign it you still should adhere to it on public ubuntu mailing lists. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 46, Issue 231
    ... Please unsubscribe me I no longer wish to receive ubuntu users lists ... wrong info in package info ...
    (Ubuntu)