Re: About root or administrative account

There's no absolute answer as it depends on the situation. I sent a
post on this subject a year ago.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: OS X Sudo vs. Root: The Real Story
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:30:43 +0800
From: 國產 Wei-Yee Chan <survivor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Ubuntu Help and User Discussions <ubuntu-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

http://linuxboxadmin.com/articles/sudo-vs-root.php

I personally prefer to have root enabled as I used to belong to the
Redhat camp.

Regards,

Wei-Yee Chan
http://chanweiyee.blogspot.com

David B Teague wrote:
Note that one chooses his advice by choosing his adviser. Nevertheless
I'm asking this question here, in the hope of getting both sides of an
issue that has bothered me since discovering *buntu.

A pundit from TechRepublic made the following remark about the *buntu
distributions:
*

*Question: How about a bad one [distribution]?*
*
This is easy, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Xubuntu are bad distros,
they killed security by disabling root account. Any distro with no
system admin account is bad.

Please argue for me both sides of this feature. I admit to having qualms
about *buntu not having a root account.

Please note that I expect to receive answers supportive of *buntu from
this list. However, I'm looking for incisive answers that tell me why
the *buntu solution to the administrative annoyance is truly better than
the more traditional *nix solution, yet tell me the down side of not
having a root account.

Finally, if this is an already thoroughly argued issue and is in a FAQ,
please post the URL. If there are further questions, I'll ask again .

With Warmest Regards
David Teague