Re: OK I've got backups, BUT ....

On 3/27/07, R Kimber <rkimber@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've just rebooted my Ubuntu 6.10 system and it seems to be completely
screwed in the sense that it has been restored to the state it was in
round about last August. Bizarrely, data files that I have long since
deleted have reappeared, and many many new files and programs have
disappeared.

What has happened? Is this anything to do with evms? And is there a way
of restoring things without a complete re-install?

The first thing I'd check is that you haven't accidentally booted up
the wrong partition. One of my PCs at home periodically "forgets"
which of two hard drives to boot first. If you've played around with
different versions of Ubuntu, it's possible that you have multiple
boot partitions and accidentally started a blast from the past....

If that isn't it, I wouldn't have a clue. Sounds very bizarre.

-Eamonn

  • Re: OK Ive got backups, BUT ....
    ... a way of restoring things without a complete re-install? ... which of two hard drives to boot first. ... boot partitions and accidentally started a blast from the past.... ... Sounds very bizarre. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: OK Ive got backups, BUT ....
    ... Am Dienstag, den 27.03.2007, 16:50 +0100 schrieb R Kimber: ... round about last August. ... data files that I have long since ... of restoring things without a complete re-install? ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • OK Ive got backups, BUT ....
    ... I've just rebooted my Ubuntu 6.10 system and it seems to be completely ... data files that I have long since ... of restoring things without a complete re-install? ... Richard Kimber ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • RE: Reinstalling Office
    ... "Restoring to a previous date" only restores your operating system files; ... does not restore your application or data files. ... > There is nothing in the folder and now I cannot even remove and reinstall ...
    (microsoft.public.officeupdate)
  • RE: User account
    ... Restoring from a backup with a date prior to the deletion of the user in question. ... Need to restore only those data files under that user name and any applications unique to that user. ...