Re: Denyhosts

Scott Abbey wrote:
Brian Fahrlander wrote:
I'm seeing "universe" in there in a couple of places- how come I
don't see the packages?

Yeah, oops XO. Mea culpa.

Sorry, Brian. I should have specified that I am running Feisty, the latest
development version of Ubuntu. That package wasn't added to the
repositories until Edgy; which, of course, you wouldn't have access to.

My best advice to you would be, unless you absolutely NEED the stability and
LTS of Dapper, to update to Edgy, and the to Feisty once it is released. If
you DO need it, you'll either have to live without, and use an alternative
(fail2ban is my personal pick), or find someone to create a package for
you.

I imagine this is also responsible for many of the other missing packages
you have encountered. Despite Dapper's touted stability, I find Edgy, and
now Feisty, much more feature-complete than Dapper ever was, even with
backports. I've never encountered stability problems with Edgy, and with
Feisty approaching release, it is shaping up to be quite stable as well.

Again, sorry for the misunderstanding.

You're a gentleman and a scholar. :) Thanks for also being a nice guy!

I've toyed with moving up, I'm just hesitant; only one of 5-6 of the
machines even HAS the OpenGL card, so 'wobbly windows' won't help much,
even if they don't just drive me crazy, looking at'em all day. But I'm
also curious to see how well Canonical manages from LTS to LTS...so I'll
look into fail2ban.

And immediately, I have some other problems to fight, namely mailman.

  • Re: Denyhosts
    ... Brian Fahrlander wrote: ... LTS of Dapper, to update to Edgy, and the to Feisty once it is released. ... I imagine this is also responsible for many of the other missing packages ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: How to load Edgy version of a package onto Dapper?
    ... all of the Feisty packages are guaranteed to work. ... to happen with an attempt to upgrade a single package from Dapper to Edgy ... When you see it wanting to update 300 packages, ... compiled against different versions of various libraries. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Firefox stable release update testing
    ... We will soon be pushing out updates to Firefox in three stable Ubuntu ... Edgy and Feisty and would appreciate help in testing ... The candidate packages can be found in the new Mozilla section of the QA ... Works fine here (Feisty 7.04). ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Ubuntu dist-downgrade
    ... can I downgrade to edgy anyhow? ... would that correctly DOWNGRADE my packages? ... packages) and feisty is not stable yet. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Question about package dependencies, package versions and distro releases
    ... I have to do some Java coding for university and Java 6 which is ... it is packaged for Feisty already. ... deb http://ch.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy main restricted universe ... Packages don't seem to include information to which distro (e.g. Edgy ...
    (Ubuntu)